mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Avid Ultimate or Magura

I noticed the 2008 Stumpjumper Pro has Magura and 2009 are using Avid Ultimate. I might have a deal on the 2008-are Marta brakes going to cause me headaches??? Ignorant on components, thanks for advice.

I like Monkeys
    I've never owned Magura brakes but I'd still prefer them to Avids. I've had nothing but trouble with mine. Search for "Turkey Gobble' for a little info.

YMMV
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

Live Free or Ride!
    I have Marta SL's. No problems, lotsa power when i need them, easy to service, easy to bleed, simply a great high end brake. If you don't wanna spend that kinda dough however then Ultimates would be my second choice for about $100 cheaper a brake than the Marta's. The one thing you gotta make sure with Marta's is that you can get the right adaptors for them as they are quite hard to get.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    I have been riding the Avids for a couple of years and love them.

mtbr member
    I just got the 2009 Magura Marta SL's on my new Ibis Mojo!!

mtbr member
    I have three bikes, one with Shimano, one with Magura and the other with Avids.

The Avids will be the first things to go in the bin, nothing but trouble.

pronounced may-duh
    I have the magura martas and they stop very well but they have some problems. They always seam to be rubbing just a bit. The pads don't last very long at all (I get about 800 miles from a set of pads). They can only use magura OEM organic pads. Metallic pads will fry the calipers. The organic pads are super quite and stop very well but they just don't last especially in wet muddy conditions. I like the martas but I suspect Shimano is a better choice.