Ska
    Steel is real.

Avid Ultimate bleed problem/question. Please help.

Iím trying to bleed these damn Ultimates as brake fade caused me to crash yesterday. I figure I have air in the lines so I open it up and get going with the bleed. I get to the point of forceing the fluid up from the calliper to the syringe attached to the lever but I can't. I pushed like mad on the lower syringe but I was worried about blowing the connection off so I stopped.

I even tried drawing a suction at the lever end at the same time but there was still no movement.

WTF?

In the end all I ended up doing was drawing what air I could out of the calliper and lever but it still doesnít feel quite right. Anyone experienced this?

Also (and this startled me) when I was drawing air out at the lever end, the oil looked dark. I didnít like the looks of that much.

I use ONLY DOT 5.1

Thanks for any help, suggestion or tips.
    Ska!
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Back out the lever reach and pad contact adjustments and give the lever several squeezes.

Sometimes the combination of lever reach/pad contact being cranked down prevents you from being able to send fluid up the line.

You should still be able to bleed the system "top down". Try pushing fluid from the lever syringe to the caliper syringe.

Avids do not need to be bled exactly the way that Avid recommends.

As long as you can send fluid from the lever reservoir down the lines to the caliper, you can still end up with a quality bleed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I believe you have to have the brake lever pulled to the bar to isolate the caliper when you bleed the caliper. Did you release the lever before trying to push fluid up the line?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale
    Back out the lever reach and pad contact adjustments and give the lever several squeezes.

Sometimes the combination of lever reach/pad contact being cranked down prevents you from being able to send fluid up the line.

You should still be able to bleed the system "top down". Try pushing fluid from the lever syringe to the caliper syringe.

Avids do not need to be bled exactly the way that Avid recommends.

As long as you can send fluid from the lever reservoir down the lines to the caliper, you can still end up with a quality bleed.

do you mean back the pad adjustment all the way off so they dont touch and then pump and bleed??

Rep Power Infinity +2

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nobody talks about the adjusting the pad adjustment, screw it in for pad contact or screw it out for no pad contact and start the bleed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    do you mean back the pad adjustment all the way off so they dont touch and then pump and bleed??
    Just back out the pad contact adjuster and the reach adjuster and then start the usual bleed process.

If fluid still can't be pushed up from the caliper to the lever, then try pushing it from the lever to the caliper-that usually always gets it done.

Depending on what Avid instructions you reference, they mention the need to back off on these adjustments.

Sometimes on the older Avids, having those adjustments all the way on or in can make it impossible to bleed the system.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale
    ...............Sometimes on the older Avids, having those adjustments all the way on or in can make it impossible to bleed the system.
    Interesting........ I did have the adjuster all the way out (as they instructed) but maybe that is the problem. I'll try it slightly in and see if it releases. These Ultimates are 08's so I don't know if that qualifies as "old". I worry about overfill doing this though so I'll try it last.

I did try pushing it through from the lever down but didn't give much pressure at all as I didn't want to force any of that black crappy gunk back into the system. I'll pull as much gunk as I can and get some clean fluid back into the syringe and try again - top down.

I talked to a couple of buddies and also have a couple of other things to try to free it up.

I'm going to try all this again later today.

Frustrating as hell - I don't like these brakes much.

Thanks for the help folks.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska!
    I worry about overfill doing this though so I'll try it last.
    As long as you have the bleed block inserted into the caliper, you can't overfill the system. If you can't push the pistons fully in to insert the bleed block, there is a chance you have an abstruction in the line. If all else fails, it may be worth disconnecting the line at the lever to see if you can push any fluid thru from the caliper. If not, you can try reconnecting at the lever and disconnecting at the caliper to see if you can get flow in the other direction.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sometimes "all the way out" will not work. You may have to go "all the way out, then a couple clicks in". To clarify, all the way out makes the brake lever firmer/more power, if that helps you.

And, be sure your lever adjustment screw is such to allow full throw. When you rubber band the lever, there should be a gap between the lever and the grip. Can't stress this enough!

Also, sometimes having the syringe clamps shut at the wrong time can make bleeding impossible.