mtbr member

Avid Speed Dial levers - what do they do?

Forgive the ignorance, but I have the plain 'ol FR-5 levers which came stock. Just wondering what the Speed Dial adjustment knobs do on the Speed Dial 7 and higher levers? I've searched here and there and not really sure why it's a good thing? I must admit, those Speed Dial SL titanium levers sure look cool. Thanks!!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the speed dial help you adjust the leverage of the levers by moving the pivot of the cable adjustment point. basically you can adjust the modulation of your brakes at the lever...

On MTBR hiatus :(
    What Crisllo wrote was correct, but here's a little more info.

The Speed Dial mechanism is a simple threaded rod that moves the cable carrier closer to or further from the brake lever pivot.

Moving it closer to the pivot (closer to the handlebar) provides for approximately 20mm of brake cable pull during a full lever squeeze. 20mm is fairly typical for most V-brake compatible levers, though by no means standard.

Moving it further from the pivot increases the amount of cable pulled to approximately 26mm, about 33% increase.

What's interesting (well, interesting to me, anyway) is that in the 26mm position is the "stronger" position, i.e. more braking power, yet the 20mm position actually provides greater mechanical advantage. Cable brakes being what they are, this works out this way, and the adjustment does result in a noticeable difference in the way the brake responds.

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Thanks so much, both of you! I couldn't find the Speed Dial feature summary that you attached online. But the pix you posted really clears it up, Nate! Looks like I'll get those SLs after all.

Back in the Saddle Again!
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat
    Thanks so much, both of you! I couldn't find the Speed Dial feature summary that you attached online. But the pix you posted really clears it up, Nate! Looks like I'll get those SLs after all.
    Save yourself the hassle and just upgrade to the Ultimate levers instead. The difference in feel is quite noticeable...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like the Shimano solution, with the slot and bushing.. A little more elegant