mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Avid Speed Dial 7 vs Speed Dial Ti levers

I need to pick up a new set of mechanical brake levers. Based on popularity and price I was going to pick up a set of Avid Speed Dial 7s. I have read a few reviews on here that some folks have had QC issues (sloop or play in the levers) with their new SD 7s and that they have a "cheap" feel compared to the previous SD 7 design. I noticed you can still find the SD Ti levers on fleabay for the same price or less then the SD 7s. The Ti's have pretty much the same design as the ultimates and a good track record.

So...anyone have the chance to compare the two? Any reason to get the SD7's over the Ti's?

Freshly Fujified

Go with the NOS Ti models

I've owned a few sets of the older vrsion SD 7's and have recently purchased the new version of the SD7. The new ones definitely feel cheaper, but I must say that I have not used them enough to say whether or not they develop any slop. That said, I've seen the New Old Stock SD 7 Ti's on ebay, and without hesitation I would buy a pair of them over the new SD 7's. FWIW, I've bought from the ebay seller (elguapogrande) that has a stockpile of the SD 7 Ti's, and I've had good experiences with him.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That helps alot Bob, I'm going to go with the SD Ti (you confirmed what I thought too)!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well, the Ti levers came in today and man are they nice. Very solid feel, no play, and look pretty sweet to boot. No regrets not getting the SD 7s.