No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

New question here. Avid Single Digit Ultimate vs. Paul's Motolite

Which brake? Here's something that may influence your choice (outside of performance). The frame that is being built up from scratch is an old school Eastern Woods Research Original Woods Bike frame. It is going to be my every day trailbike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Love my Paul Motolites

I have no experience with the Avid's although I am sure they are great too. The Paul's are light and very sturdy because the levers and brake arms are machined aluminum. What I love the most is how easy they are to adjust as the brake pads wear. I also like the beafy coil springs on each side of the brake arm. I have run them for two years now with no problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i used paul's for a long time on my trials bike, definitely a great brake. like the last guy said, the coil springs are nice and stiff, and in addition, the brake is easy to disconnect. the reason i stopped using them was because my frame had horizontal dropouts, and i found that the pad adjustment was something of a pain after changing flats and such.
    the avids would be my choice, they have literally zero play in the calipers, and i find the pad adjustment to be simpler. power is pretty comaprable.
    anyways, good job scoring that ewr, i have long lusted after a tight little short-chainstayed machine like the ewr.
    tim

ا
    Old school = go with Pauls.

But, check out Avid Black Ops, supposedly the best vbrake ever. Besides those crazy Magura ones.
    [Size=2]Looking for...
    A PINK Chris King Headset... and disc hubs!

As well as a Morati crankset!
    PLEASE Email me or PM me with any leads!!!
    [/size]

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

Not Pauls

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Which brake? Here's something that may influence your choice (outside of performance). The frame that is being built up from scratch is an old school Eastern Woods Research Original Woods Bike frame. It is going to be my every day trailbike. Thanks!
    Okay, I have to say something, I've resisted the urge for a couple of days, but I HATED the Moto lite brakes. HATED! Thought they were a pain to adjust (if I remember correctly, you had to use a 4mm and a 5mm allen wrench, and a 15mm cone wrench) versus what else I had run at the time (pretty much all the Shimano versons). And I found them to be quite flexy. Also they didn't fit flush on the post, leaving the bottom of the brake post exposed (which never made sense to me). Ugh!

They are light. I did like the noodle attachment system (except I wondered what would happen if/when it failed). And they are black.

Swapped them out for some Precision Billet V's, and I really, REALLY liked them.

Rant over.

Oni

My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
    What do avid single digits look like? I got a set of brakes I got from a garage sale and they are AVIDs and they are labled "1D"

Are those single didgit?
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!

just along for the ride
    I run only avids and love them, easy to adust and cheap now that discs are all the rage. Best bang for $ are the 3's but you have to get the wrangler cartrage holders if you ride lots and want to save on pads. Best pads are koolstops, wear almost twice as long as avids due to their shape they don't overheat and melt away. My favorite avids are the ti's, only have one on a close out sale (29$) and they are light stiff and have that sexy color. Pauls I hear are hard to adjust so I never got a pair. Have fun!

3D guy

... and if we just ... There are many single digits...

Quote Originally Posted by summitlt
    What do avid single digits look like? I got a set of brakes I got from a garage sale and they are AVIDs and they are labled "1D"

Are those single digit?
    Here is the blacks ops ultimates (brake not lever) one my chameleon...

Geoff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gstahl

Geoff

Are the Black Ops different from the Ultimates?

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Go with the Black Ops/Ultimate brakes

I used the Motolites for a year or so and it took forever for me to realize and admit that they were holding me back (or not holding me back enough). Maybe I didn't have the setup dialed in, or maybe the Lovelevers were the culprits, but since I switched to the Avid Ultimate brakes (same as the Black Ops), I notice quite a difference. I mean one finger stopping with Kooka Racha levers!

Uber V Cripp
    Quote Originally Posted by gstahl

Geoff

Trick squared. Nice. The main difference is the Pauls look good.... But the Avids work good and look cool. Just my .02

jd