mtbr member
    Aug 2008

avid single digit 5 vs 7

I tried doing a search and couldn't quite find the answer i want.

is there any difference between the SD5 and SD7 in terms of braking power?? Is it true the only difference between them is the material used (therefore more light weight?)

I can get SD5 for cheap off my mate but I am after something strong and I am not too fuss about the weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

More or lesss...

however, the alloy the SD7 is made of also makes for stiffer brake arms which does improve power a bit. The other differences are the stock brake pads. The SD5 comes with the 1 piece R20 pads, the SD7 comes stock with the RW2 cartirdge pad. Makes things nicer when it's time to change pads, just pop out the old and insert the new. And the SD7 comes with the "mini boot" which stays in place on the noodle better than the standard boot, and is designed in such a way that you don't have to remove the boot from the noodle end to release the brakes. Not a huge difference in performance, but noticeable, and the other little additions do make it a nicer brake. You'r call though, both brakes work well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    what brakes do you have now? if you're on a rim brake, get the SD5 off your mate and you'll be more than happy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks squash,

alexrex20,
    I currently have a pair of tektro v-brakes (not sure what model?) that came stock with my monocog
    is it worthwhile to upgrade??

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    you will notice a VAST improvement over your current tektro v-brakes.

even if you needed to buy new disc-ready wheels, it would still be a worthwhile investment.

as with an automobile, there's no such thing as having "too much brakes."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    haha for sure.

good to know SD5 will give me a good improvement so I am not wasting my money.

I am certain I want more braking power just wanted to know whether it is worth it to pay extra for the SD7.

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hope you will soon find you want to answer.
    pressed to the wall wow powerleveling.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    you will notice a VAST improvement over your current tektro v-brakes.

even if you needed to buy new disc-ready wheels, it would still be a worthwhile investment.

as with an automobile, there's no such thing as having "too much brakes."
    Why does he need disk-ready wheels for a different set of v-brakes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtcowow8
    Hope you will soon find you want to answer.

thanks, i have taken the bike offroad first time today and the brake worked fine although not great.. =D.... so i have decided not to upgrade it until i really feel the need to =)

thanks everyone for your answers =) but if i were to upgrade, i will probably just go for the SD5 unless price difference of SD7 is very minimal