mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Avid to Shimano swap, new adaptors needed?

Well I'm officially over my BB7's on my '13 Kona Unit. Everyone keeps telling me how great they are but IMO they aren't a patch on good hydros.

I've just ordered a set of XT Brakes (M785) with new Ice-Tech rotors (RT86 - I stuck with 180 and 160mm sized Rotors that were standard).

For those that have made the swap, can I use the standard Avid caliper mount adapters with the new brakes, or will I need to buy the Shimano adapters too? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've made the switch... The short version, no, get Shimano adapters.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I spent some time grinding the Avid adapter to fit my M-985, but eventually i just gave up and spend the $12 on a Shimano adapter. I don't think the Avid adapter is faced as precisely as the Shimano, since Avid uses those weird ball/cup spacers to get the orientation correct.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I don't think the Avid adapter is faced as precisely as the Shimano, since Avid uses those weird ball/cup spacers to get the orientation correct.
    Avid makes non CPS calipers now too.
    As they make calipers that don't use the CPS washers their current model adapters should have a flatter surface then some of the older adapters where it didn't matter if the surfaces are flat.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I spent some time grinding the Avid adapter to fit my M-985, but eventually i just gave up and spend the $12 on a Shimano adapter. I don't think the Avid adapter is faced as precisely as the Shimano, since Avid uses those weird ball/cup spacers to get the orientation correct.
    The brackets are the same spec regardless if the caliper uses the CPS washers. It is the caliper that is different and requires the washer stack, not the mounting bracket.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    At any rate i had to take a lot of material out to fit the Shimano caliper in there and i just didn't feel comfortable running it like that. I know the bridge is not really a structural area, but at the same time it IS your brake system..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just changed my 2013 Stumpjumper FSR from Elixir 5 to Shimano SLX. My rear is post mount with a 160MM rotor so no adapter was needed at all for the SLX, just bolt it right onto the frame posts. My front rotor is 180MM so I ordered the Shimano adapter. When I hold the Shimano adapter up to the old Avid spacers they are not the same length. I'd say buy the Shimano adapters so you are sure that your pads contact the rotor in the right spot, unless you have 160 rotors with post mount then no adapter is needed.
    Also, vibration from the Avid CPS mounts may be part of the reason those brakes are so noisy so you want to get rid of all that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great - thanks for the info guys, very helpful! I thought they must be different sizes with the CPS washers height factored in. I'll order them now.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The brackets are the same spec regardless if the caliper uses the CPS washers. It is the caliper that is different and requires the washer stack, not the mounting bracket.
    I think 'porch' was having a problem with an Avid adapter like the one on the right in the following photo.
    With a Avid caliper that uses CPS washers there wouldn't be a problem with attaching it to an adapter that has uneven surfaces.

Yo.

FWIW, I was able to use SLX calipers on Avid brackets without issue or modification. 180 PM front, 160 IS rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had elixir 5's and converted to XTs, I used the same adapter. Now Im wondering if that was bad, they fit fine and have been working for quite some time (6 months)

Yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie View Post
    FWIW, I was able to use SLX calipers on Avid brackets without issue or modification. 180 PM front, 160 IS rear.
    Actually, it's 185 front. With G3 CleanSweep rotors front and back. HTH.
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie View Post
    Actually, it's 185 front. With G3 CleanSweep rotors front and back. HTH.
    Slow Eddie, try and get a flash light beam into the caliper to check pad contact. Is there a bunch of pad hanging over the edge of the rotor?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Avid to Shimano swap, new adaptors needed?

I'm running deore m596s with g3 185mm with avid adapter and it works fine for me. Although I'm using the rear avid caps bolt up front and a couple small washers it does what it needs to....stop

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Needed Shimano adapters for the front(180's) but the rear(160's) Avid adapters worked fine.
    With the Avid adapters on the front the XT pads didn't contact the rotor fully so they got changed to Shimano adapters. The rear Avid adapters worked perfect with the XT's.
    You won't believe how much better the XT's feel and work.

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Slow Eddie, try and get a flash light beam into the caliper to check pad contact. Is there a bunch of pad hanging over the edge of the rotor?
    On the front, there is about 1mm of brake pad that overhangs the inner edge of the rotor (towards the center of the wheel). Fox F29 post mount, Avid 185mm post mount adapter, SLX M666 caliper, stock finned Shimano pads, Avid 185mm G3CS rotor. No shims or washers between fork and adapter, or between adapter and caliper.

On the back, there is no overhang. IS tabs (Giant XTC 29er, aluminum), 160mm adapter and rotor.

I never checked overhang during setup. Haven't had any pulsing issues (yet), but I'll probably shim the front caliper out next time the opportunity presents itself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I give Shimano M596 brakes on Avid G3 disc. The picture shows the front brake disc is 185 mm Avid G3, original Avid adapter brake Shimano M596.
    Shrani.si - Brezpla?na spletna shramba za va?e slike - 2013-07-10-180938.jpg
    The fork is Rock Shox Recon Gold.

Pads are not 100% on the disc, edge remains.
    I'm going to buy a Shimano adapter for 180mm and put washers 1 mm or two under adapter.
    What is the right code Shimano adapter?

Does it make sense to swap a Shimano Brake Disc? Some say that Shimano brakes work better with the original Shimano discs.

Yo.

I don't think you'll be able to use a 185mm rotor with a 180mm adapter, regardless of brand. Why not just shim your current setup and see how that works?