mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Avid or Shimano??

I've had enough of these Tektro Novelas. I've had too many problems and adjustments with them I'm wanting new brakes. I'm on the fence between Avid BB7 and Shimano Deore. I've only saw good reviews on both brakes. I'm fairly new to the mtb scene and ride mostly trails nothing hardcore and some roads. I would think hydros give more power than mech brakes but what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Avids came on my last 2 bikes, but I wouldn't go out and buy them. Stopping power and modulation are very good, but they tend to honk, squeak, or sound like a turkey in a haunted house if everything isn't set up just right.

mtbr member
    Buy a set of SLX brakes. Dirt cheap and great performance. And they make no sound. All Avid brakes howl. I don't know why but they do. Shimano brakes are quiet.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    +1 on the SLX. I have replaced the AVID's on both of my bikes with SLX. There's really no comparison between the 2.

<100%
    Both are good. BB7's are easy to set up and maintain, very adjustable and never need bled. If I was in the mountains with long tech dh's, I'd go with the hydro's. If not, pick 'em.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    SLX are a little out of the budget right now theres still other things that need money thrown towards it. I've narrowed it down to these 2 sets BECAUSE they're so cheap and the reviews are so good. I pretty much have my mind set on hydros. Thanks for all the input really helped!

mtbr member
    Shimano Deore are awesome. Here is a good review:

2012 Shimano Deore M596 Brakes - User review

Jenson has a pretty good deal on them now.

Rider

Avid or Shimano??

I have had both the bb7 and the deore, as well as many other avid and shimano brakes.

Deore all the way, really powerful, simple setup, easy to bleed. Less hassle than dealing with cable brakes.

Shimano have the best brakes around IMO.

Rider

Avid or Shimano??

Avids also tend to sound like turkeys after a while also. Really annoying.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Alright sounds like I'm buying the hydros for sure thanks to everyone who helped with the feedback! I'll be sure to post my opinions on them!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just got the M596's, replacing my BB7's, wouldn't go back to BB7's, these are solid brakes for the price.

mtbr member
    After using BB7s for the last 6 years I just changed to the 596s and they are great. BB7s are great for mechanical but these Hydros are only ten bucks more.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    I've ran Deore XTs for awhile and when I wanted new brakes, without having to spend a ton of money, I went with the Deore M596. I noticed very little difference. I picked mine up from Chain Reaction for around $130 for the set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    the set of Deore my buddy has need constant adjusting the brakes drag all the time and don't have as much stopping power as people say I can outstop him with old shimono LX v-brakes. Just make to have them setup properly by a good mechanic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone try the new deore m615 yet? Added ice tech compatibility.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good feedback. I will be swapping out my loud Avid Elixir 3s for the Shimano SLXs it looks like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Someone has to do it - I guess it's me. I had SLX and swapped them off for my tried and true bb7s. I was used to and liked the feel of mechanical brakes and the SLX were a little too on/off braking for me. My BB7s don't make a peep of noise and provide all the power I need for local trails. That said, SLX is a great value if you find a good deal. I imagine the Deore brakes are just as nice. You should be happy with both.

mtbr member
    Shimano! I sold a bike with XT's and bought a bike with Elixer 5's. Going back to Shimano as soon as the wallet allows me. You will not be disappointed, try to get the SLX with Icetech and you won't regret it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Avid or Shimano??

I have deore m596s they are solid in was using clean sweep g3 rotors (185/160) and the power was great just picked up a set of SLX rotors 180/160 and holy hell its like the power and feel is fantastic compared.to my bb7s and the juicy and exliar brakes I've used.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I also have Shimano Deore M596 on Avid rotors G3, but the power is not so great, if i compared on old Avid Elixir 5 and Avid G3 rotors. Obviously not as good as combined brake rotors and different manufacturers. Avid Elixir 5 and Avid G3 rotors had a very good power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Avid or Shimano??

Quote Originally Posted by Denny1 View Post
    I also have Shimano Deore M596 on Avid rotors G3, but the power is not so great, if i compared on old Avid Elixir 5 and Avid G3 rotors. Obviously not as good as combined brake rotors and different manufacturers. Avid Elixir 5 and Avid G3 rotors had a very good power.
    Go with some shimano rotors I picked up a set of 180/160 at rei for $56 after tax. Adapter was $15(shimano) but was worth it

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Big thanks to everyone who helped in the decision making, you helped me make the right choice for sure!!

I did end up buying Shimano Deore M596 from JensonUSA for $70 and got them in the mail Friday and boy are they great!! I like my brakes really touchy and they're there right when I need them. I really liked the fact that I could adjust the lever position. Also I like to use my brakes with my index finger only and they worked like a charm. I could lock up the tire with one finger on dry concrete all day with barely any effort. I was riding on the sidewalk and there were sprinklers on and i rode through them and my Tekro Novellas were squealing like crazy, and the Shimanos were quiet as a mouse. As of now I only have the Shimanos on the rear because my front brakes are still working decent but when that $70 comes around I'm buying another set FOR SURE.
    And with the pre-bled lines I put the whole setup on my bike in about 10 mins. It was really easy.

Conclusion- For anyone looking for cheap hydro brakes get Shimano Deore M596 they are worth the money and great brakes.