mtbr member
    May 2013

Avid sent my LBS inferior replacement warranty brakes. Thoughts?

I bought a 2011 Stunmpjumper FSR Expert 29er new from an LBS with a set of Avid Elixir CR SL brakes. The rear one needed replacement and since the bike and components were under warranty through the shop, they ordered me a replacement. In comes a pair of Avid Elixir 5 brakes, which seem to be a step down from what I had, especially since there is no tool-less reach adjust. I expected at least a 7, certainly not a step DOWN. I'm kind of irritated especially because I'm considering selling the bike for money to buy a 26er and this hurts the value.

I'm going to have the shop call on Monday and make the case. Has anybody experienced anything similar with Avid/SRAM. I've heard that usually if anything they send better parts for warrant replacements. Am I SOL?

I'm thinking about removing them from the bike, and dealing without riding for a few weeks so I can sell them for cash to buy Shimano SLX M666 brakes.

cowbell
    I think you need to deal with the shop - they are your best hope. I can tell you that when there was a service bulletin on my Elixir 1's they called Avid/SRAM and were advised to "ask the customer if a set of XO Silver replacements would suffice" - which they do. My point is, I think it depends what they have an excess of that they can send immediately as to what they offer, but they do offer, so it's very possible your shop knew what was coming and told them that was fine without checking with you. Just a thought.

Warrior's Society
    Usually SRAM is really good about upgrading when a warranty issue arises.

They warrantied my 2.5 year old Elixir R's with a new set of 2013 X.0 Trails, just last month.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got it all sorted out! 2013 Avid X.0 Trails are on the way! How do you like those brakes, mtnbikej? I've always preferred the feel of Avid brakes, even with the X.0 Trails I've heard a lot of bad things about reliability and ease of maintenance.

I'm thinking about selling them and getting Shimano XTR or Zee. Not huge on their levers though. Also, every Shimano brakeset I've tried has felt veeery binary to me compared to the Avids. They feel either full off or full on.
    Last edited by IronCOOKARU; 09-25-2013 at 01:00 PM.