mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Avid SD Ultimate versus Magura HS33

Hi,

I am not satisfied with the brake power of my HS33 and would like to switch to the Avid Ultimate.
    Did anybody test both brake systems and can make a statement...

Cheers

No, that's not phonetic
    Funny, but lack of power was never a comment I have heard associated with the HS33s. Normally they are considered to be noticeably more powerful than pretty much any other rim brake option (though some in the reviews section say it may be close with the Ultimates: read through the HS33 reviews). Have you tried other pads?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No, I havent tried different pads yet. But honestly I dont think this would increase the brake power dramatically!
    Some people say that the Avid V-Brakes are more powerful than the HS33.
    The Deore V-Brakes are honestly more powerful than my HS33!

DHR Rider

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by vindiesel
    No, I havent tried different pads yet. But honestly I dont think this would increase the brake power dramatically!
    Some people say that the Avid V-Brakes are more powerful than the HS33.
    The Deore V-Brakes are honestly more powerful than my HS33!
    I've tried almost all of the magura rim braking systems out there, starting with the HS-11 way back in the early 1990s. Even that system, when set up right, was able to provide more stopping power than V-brakes, particularly in wet weather. Also, it was important to use the proper brake shoes for your rim type, that affected performance also. And make sure you are using the newer, longer brakepads - the older ones are less than 1 inch in length! Another thing that affects performance is setup - Maggies' can be a pita to get aligned right (particularly the older systems with their "evolution" adapters), but once you have it dialed in, they almost never require readjustment again. Also put a brake booster on, particularly for the rear brake mounts... without em, the brakes made my chainstays flex like wet noodles, and the difference they made was astounding.

Another thing is how people define "strong brakes". Just being able to lock up the rear wheel super fast is not an indicator of "good brakes". As you've no doubt found out already, modulation is key, or as Pirelli so rightly puts it "power is nothing without control". And I'd think Magura would get it right, since they've been around in the hydraulic brakes (and motorcycle brakes!!!!) business a lot longer than Avid has.

In general though, unless you are a road bike, or cyclo-cross or hardcore XC rider, rim brakes are going the way of the dodo.

Just my .02c

Cohiba

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vindiesel
    Hi,

I am not satisfied with the brake power of my HS33 and would like to switch to the Avid Ultimate.
    Did anybody test both brake systems and can make a statement...

Cheers

There is something very wrong with your setup if you believe v-brakes are stonger then the HS-33. Those are bar none the most powerful rim brake available. I have heard of people crushing rims with those bad boys when properly setup.

check out the magura cult page for installation tips.

http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/w...a/contents.htm

Also, are you running brake boosters? without them those brakes are so powerful they just flex the mounting posts......

One last thing, if you do decide to get rid of them, let me know how much you want.