mtbr member
    Dec 2007

avid rotor question

Someone, I don't remember who, recently said the clean sweep rotor was better than the roundagon rotor. Is this true, and if so, why?

T_N
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    imo the clean sweep is better because of the way its designed, it has small holes in the outer part where the pads touch the rotor, which would allow for better cooling, but your pads might wear out faster

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by easyperson
    Someone, I don't remember who, recently said the clean sweep rotor was better than the roundagon rotor. Is this true, and if so, why?
    The Roundagon tends to howl more.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Shiggy hit it....

the primary reason for the perception that the Clean Sweep is "better" than the Roundagon is noise. The early Roundagons tended to squeal and folks couldn't get them to shut up. In searching for a quiter solution it was discovered that the Clean Sweep rotors were quiter for many people. I've had Avid discs with both the Roudagon and the Clean Sweap rotors. As far as braking performance goes there is really no detectable difference. The Clean Sweaps do cool a bit faster on long downhill runs and such, but other than that not much else. If your Roundagons are quite for the most part and aren't giving you any problems don't sweat it. If they are squealing constantly and you've made sure or proper brake set up etc. Then a switch to Clean Sweaps might well help. Just keep in mind that any disc brake will squeal under the right conditions or combination of conditions.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

GAME ON!
    plus, the clean sweeps look better.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The clean sweeps seem like a more robust rotor.