mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Avid road disc brake for mtb

I just bought an Avid rear disc brake on ebay under the mountain bike section. The seller sent me the Avid rear disc brake for ROAD bikes. I checked the avid web site which states that the road disc brake should not be used with linear pull levers. The seller says that it can be used with linear pull brakes for "more pull".

Anyone have any ideas on the compatibility of linear pull levers with avid ROAD disc brakes?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by K2footsrgn
    I just bought an Avid rear disc brake on ebay under the mountain bike section. The seller sent me the Avid rear disc brake for ROAD bikes. I checked the avid web site which states that the road disc brake should not be used with linear pull levers. The seller says that it can be used with linear pull brakes for "more pull".

Anyone have any ideas on the compatibility of linear pull levers with avid ROAD disc brakes?

Thanks
    yeah, don't do it. you will have huge clearance between pad and rotor, but the brake lever will feel rock solid and you'll have precious little power. if you don't have integrated shifter-brake levers, then you can pick up some good canti levers for dirt cheap at any shop. slr plus levers with the shifters removed work extraordinarily well.
    tim

meatier showers

Dump that chump

Quote Originally Posted by K2footsrgn
    ..."more pull"...
    More pull does not mean more power -- it means less. The road version mech caliper is designed to be used with road levers, which pull less cable than V-brake levers. So if you do utilize V levers with a road caliper your levers will ramp that caliper up immediately, allowing you very little lever throw before the lever becomes unbearably difficult to pull any further. In other words, you will have reduced your leverage AKA mechanical advantage. It will be very hard to lock up the brakes or even achieve power approaching lock up.

I have a buddy that rides drop bars off-road and he's tried both types of Avid mech calipers on his 29er, road and mountain. He actually prefers the exact opposite of what you've described -- he likes a mountain caliper with his road lever. Lots of lever throw in advance of lock up, but plenty of fingertip power.

Personally, I think you got a raw deal.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas