Crunchatize me Capn'

New question here. AVID replacement pads EBC, Kool-Stop.JAG?

There are several different mfg. out there offering replacement pads for Avid Mech. brakes.
    I have heard of JAG, Kool-Stop, EBC, and YPK besides the original OEM. What have people tried and the model for each company, i.e. EBC Gold or Red specifically. I was looking through a lot of posts here and there isn't any complete go to thread offering info or advice all together. I think this would help myself and other newbies looking for replacement pads.

(Also if the admin is reading this please make this a sticky to the forum board if people provide lots of info. At least a FAQ link)

"El Whatever"

I've only used the B3 compound (OEM)

And they don't las too long under wet. But they are a good pad indeed that unfortunately has serious inconsistency problems. I have three brakes and the older one has more pads left than the other two.

I've heard too that the Kool Stops are very good but produce squeal when hot.

And I posted a similar thread to yours but there is no answer from the rest of the guys in here.... probably not too much people has tried anyother kind of pad but the manufacturer's one.

I got a set of Fibrax sintered pads which I hadn't used but I'd like to hear some comments before using them.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm now using the EBC red, very satisfied.

My original pads from Avid were squealing like hell, I changed them for the EBC, no more sqeal, same power and modulation. This is enough for me, I'm satisfied and will only buy EBC from now on. Just want to mention tough that I didn't try them yet on extended downhill or in very wet conditions. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jabpn
    There are several different mfg. out there offering replacement pads for Avid Mech. brakes.
    I have heard of JAG, Kool-Stop, EBC, and YPK besides the original OEM. What have people tried and the model for each company, i.e. EBC Gold or Red specifically. I was looking through a lot of posts here and there isn't any complete go to thread offering info or advice all together. I think this would help myself and other newbies looking for replacement pads.

(Also if the admin is reading this please make this a sticky to the forum board if people provide lots of info. At least a FAQ link)

www.justthebonnet.com
    I've been using the Kool-Stop pads and they work great. They wear slower than the Avid pads, I don't get any squeel, and stop fine in the wet and mud. They are also less $$ than most of the other pads. No complaints here.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish