mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Avid R SL issues

I bought a Stumpjumper FSR the other day from Craigslist. The bike is in fantastic condition, hardly driven at all actually. When I went on the test ride I did not notice any brake scrubbing but now it's nearly impossible to ride as the rear pads are constantly touching both sides of the rotor.

I pulled the caliper off to see if the pistons could be compressed but it didn't budge. The pads were constantly gripping the rotor making it difficult to pull as well. The pistons will freely go in and out when pulling the brake lever though while the caliper is off.

Any advice? Is it possible it's over-filled with fluid from the factory? I don't believe the previous owner did any service as the condition of the components and frame tells me it sat around for a few years.
    2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

mtbr member
    I had some of those brakes on my old Stumpy and the rear was overfilled from the factory. I let a bit of fluid out carefully and it was fine. They have a "how-to" for letting some fluid out on their site somewhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks Sasquatch, I'll check out any how-to's that may be on their site.

mtbr member
    I didn't do much research when I did mine. I'm sure there is more information out there. A quick google or youtube search may help more, too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I went back to the garage and slowly opened the bleed screw until about 5 drops of hydraulic fluid drained into the paper towel I had there then closed the screw. At that point I centered the caliper on the rotor and snugged it up. Now the back wheel rolls freely. The lever moves a little further than the front now though, which is a bit annoying. Better than a bike I could not ride though!

mtbr member
    You may be able to adjust that out with the reach adjustment on your lever.