Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Avid R SL issues

519 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  sasquatch rides a SS 
#1 ·
I bought a Stumpjumper FSR the other day from Craigslist. The bike is in fantastic condition, hardly driven at all actually. When I went on the test ride I did not notice any brake scrubbing but now it's nearly impossible to ride as the rear pads are constantly touching both sides of the rotor.

I pulled the caliper off to see if the pistons could be compressed but it didn't budge. The pads were constantly gripping the rotor making it difficult to pull as well. The pistons will freely go in and out when pulling the brake lever though while the caliper is off.

Any advice? Is it possible it's over-filled with fluid from the factory? I don't believe the previous owner did any service as the condition of the components and frame tells me it sat around for a few years.

#5 ·
I went back to the garage and slowly opened the bleed screw until about 5 drops of hydraulic fluid drained into the paper towel I had there then closed the screw. At that point I centered the caliper on the rotor and snugged it up. Now the back wheel rolls freely. The lever moves a little further than the front now though, which is a bit annoying. Better than a bike I could not ride though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.