mtbr member
    Jan 2012

avid post mount help?

i have recently brought some avid elixir 1 2012 hydraulic brakes and have also brought this adapter to go with it Avid Mount Adaptor Front Post 185mm | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com.
    do i just use the adapter with the caliper and bolt it straight on or do i need too add washers inbetween as the bolts seem too long?

mtbr member
    You need to use the avid cps washers both above and below the caliper mounts holes. A cps washer is cup and cone and allows for proper caliper alignment to the rotor.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ok cheers il have to buy some then

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    One bolt is longer than the other. Mix them up and you might strip the post mount

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

Elixir 1 doesn't use CPS washers

Be careful... If I recall correctly, Elixir 1s don't use CPS washers between the caliper and the mount. You will need to use the CPS washers between the caliper and the bolt heads to allow for the slight angling of the bolts that the 185 post mount adapter creates.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Did you buy the Elixir 1 calipers by themselves or did you get rotors with them ?

From what I can see the 2012 Elixir 1's are sold with 180mm rotors not 185mm rotors, if you use a 185mm adapter with a 180mm rotor you'll probably have about 2.5mm of pad material overhanging the outer edge of the rotor, this is a bad thing.

The "20mm PM - 180 PM Front/160 PM Rear" adapter on the following page is the right adapter for a 180mm rotor.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75477

If you're using a 185mm rotor with the 185mm adapter then all is OK.

I see that you recently bought a 2009 Rockshox Dart 2 fork, is this the fork you're using ?

If it is you'll probably be OK but I'm fairly sure that fork is rated to maximum rotor size of 160mm.