hands up who wants to die

New question here. Avid pad wear question

Hi there- I've been using Avid discs for more than a year. I like their performance a lot.

I have a question about pad wear though. I always wear out the outer pad (the one that moves), long before the inner one. I'm thinking this is an improper set-up issue and that I could be saving some $$$ if I got the things wearing uniformly.

Could someone help me with this? Any set-up tips to get uniform pad wear?

thanks y'all.

-r

c'mon guys... I need some help here.

-r

Unshaven Yak

Same problem here

I suspect it's just the way it is. My outer pad always wears quicker too.

Patience....

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    I always wear out the outer pad (the one that moves), long before the inner one. I'm thinking this is an improper set-up issue and that I could be saving some $$$ if I got the things wearing uniformly.
    I think you're stuck with the uneven wear. I have the Avids and the same thing happens. It's because only the outer pad moves, which means that it touches the rotor first and pushes it towards the inner pad. The outer pad therefore sees more rubbing than the inner pad and hence wears faster. It's worse the bigger the gap between the inner pad and the rotor, since the outer pad has to push further to make the rotor contact the inner pad (and therefore the outer pad takes more of the load). It's also worse if you lightly brake often, ie it's possible to apply the brake so that the outer (moving) pad has higher load contact with the rotor than the inner pad.

This phenomenon doesn't happen with my twin-piston self-adjusting hydraulics.

Look at it this way: you're wearing out only one pad at a time rather than both at the same time!

thanks for the info.

This wouldn't be a problem if the pad were interchangeable from side to side. but now I'm stuck with a bunch of OK-condition inner pads. Maybe someone will start selling the outer pads in singles! (yeah right)

-r

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

i've been using the Avid's disc brakes for some time now and traced the uneven wear to setup problems.

Basically you have to adjust the inner pad so that it's as near as possible to the rotor. So that it's gap is closer to the rotors than the outer pad. This ensures that the outer pad doesn't rub against the rotor for too long before braking.

Also, you've got to align the pads parallel to the rotor. Just loosen the bolts, press the levers and position the caliper body with the rotor dead centre.

One side note. You also need to ensure that the springs are working properly. If they're out of shape, just bend it back so that no part is protruding into the rotor and that the spring force is evenly pushing the pads.

My front brake pads were really long-lasting (since begining Oct 2003, in nasty wet weather and muddy, sandy trails and many stream-crossings). But the rear wore out early, and I later found that one of the reasons is uneven wear (not parallel to rotor)

Hope that helps...