Thread: Avid Pad reset

mtbr member

Avid Pad reset

Hi,

Just bought some new rotors and in need of some help.

The rotors i was using (Hope) are 1.6mm thick VS the new rotors (Scrub) which are 1.82mm thick.

There is little to no clearance between the new rotors and pads.

Having made a mistake the last time i tried it and blowing the master cylinder seals i want to be sure...

I obviously need to reset the pads - so do i remove the bleed port screw on the lever and push the pads back ? I don't want to let too much fluid out the system as they are working just nicely...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    While it is possible, I doubt that you need to let fluid out.

Try pushing the pistons all the way apart and fully back into the cylinders. Install the wheel and squeeze the lever a few times to set the pads correctly for the new rotors.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I would have thought so too, but im just being carefull. The last time i did it the seal on the MC blew and required replacing which was a pain.

mtbr member
    Me again,

So just to be on the side of caution will letting out the bleed port screw be OK ?

mtbr member
    Unless the system is over-filled to begin with there shouldn't be any reason to open the system and let any fluid out. Personally I wouldn't open the bleed screw 'just to be safe'. You risk letting air into the system that way.

mtbr member
    Bit late Did it earlier today. Was pushing the pads back and they weren't going anywhere. I had to take the bleed screw out - a decent amount of fluid came out when i then pushed the pads back.

So now it's done and reset - no air seems to have gotten in though as the lever still feels great. Just pissed that the new rotor isn't straight