Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Avid (metal sintered) brake disc pads noise question

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Thrasher 
#1 ·
My LBS recommended these pads today when I went in because my brake pads were pretty worn. They said the metal sintered pads will last much longer. They cost me $25.

I only got one long season out of the ceramic pads that came with my spec pitch pro juicy brakes. Anyway, I only went on a very short ride around the block and hit the brakes a few times and they were quite noisy! This sucks and I'm hoping it will go away because my other pads were nice and quite. Any ideas if I just need to brake them in or something? Thanks

#2 ·
Thrasher said:
My LBS recommended these pads today when I went in because my brake pads were pretty worn. They said the metal sintered pads will last much longer. They cost me $25.

I only got one long season out of the ceramic pads that came with my spec pitch pro juicy brakes. Anyway, I only went on a very short ride around the block and hit the brakes a few times and they were quite noisy! This sucks and I'm hoping it will go away because my other pads were nice and quite. Any ideas if I just need to brake them in or something? Thanks
SpecialEd Pitch Pro model comes with a special ceramic pad? Would think the stock sintered pad would come with them, maybe the organic, but ceramic? As far as your new pads go probably just need bedding in, did you clean your old rotors?

#3 ·
Thrasher said:

The pads will "wear in" and the noise will go away. Did you clean your rotors first before installing the new pads to get all the old ceramic residue off. This may help as well, but might be too late now that you have passed the residue on to your new pads. You could clean up the rotors, lightly sand the pad surface and try again. It's hard to find any brake or pad/rotor combination in this world that doesn't make at least some noise from time to time. It's part of brakes and keeps the wildlife off the trail in front of you on the singletrack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.