DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Avid mechs - housing question / problem...

Ok, I'm almost embarassed by the weekly questions related to setting up my Avids, but I'm not the most mechanically oriented and messy trails have slowed my trial and error process here...

Anyway, my problem (both front and back Avid mech brakes) is that the housing is getting pulled out of the ferrules at the brake fairly frequently. More specifically, I'll hit the brakes and often the housing will get pulled up with the cable and out of the ferrule. When I then release the brake it will often not return back into the ferrule but instead get stuck on the lip of the ferrule. As a result, the next slight pull of the lever causes instant full-on braking and lock up since the cable hasn't been allowed to return to its release position. Same problem, front and rear. Rear is worse since the housing got cut up by this and can't even fit back into the ferrule.

So... is this likely a routing problem - ie, too much or too little housing? Or do I not have my housing zip tied down enough? For example, I only have one zip tie for the front and it's at the crown so the housing tends to get pulled up past the zip tie and stay there which then pulls the housing out of the ferrule at the brake.

My hunch is that I need to clean up my housing ends some more (I just borrowed a buddy's dremel) and then zip tie the housing closer to the brake itself so that the housing is still flexible but so that it can't actually move with the cable.

Does this make any sense? Does my prognosis seem right? Thanks! S

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quick follow up - Two reasons for my zip tie problem.
    1) Front - Since I'm running 8" discs on the front, the caliper is pretty far behind the axle and crown, so any zip tie between the caliper and the crown would add a bend to that segment and I thought that it was ideal to have the cable and housing run as straight as possible from the caliper straight up to the crown.
    2) Back - I'm currently bypassing the last hose guide closest to the caliper on the seatstay since it would also put the cable and housing into a pretty tight bend to reach that guide based on the angle of the cable coming out of the caliper. If I skip this guide should I add a zip tie a little further up the seatstay but before the next guide in order to keep the housing fixed in place to avoid it getting pulled out of the ferrule?

Thanks again! S

Harrumph
    Sounds like your housing is too short. If the housing is moving the length of a furrule, its Waaay to short. I'm not sure on the front but if the rear is too short the bends will try and straighten themselves out, or pull out when you turn the bars.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Too Short Housing

Definitely, Too Short Are Your Cable Housing

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Fixed it. I don't think it was the housing being too short - although that still could have been part of the culpit. I kept it the same length. Cleaned the ends a bit more and then secured the housing closer to the calipers - both front and back. I think what was happening is that when my suspension would compress or I'd turn, the housing would get pulled or pushed past my single zip tie but couldn't then slide back so it pulled the ends out of the ferrule. The housing is less "free floating" now. I banged around on it later yesterday and twisted it in every directions and it stayed together nicely.

The only remaining piece of the puzzle is power to the rear brake. I can't get it to fully lock up while also keeping it rub-free when just riding. Getting there though. One step at a time! Thanks. S

Harrumph

Uuum

Ok DSR, do yourself a favor and get some new cables. Just zip-tying it is not a permenant fix. The housing should be long enough that it keeps itself in, with a little tension. Try and take off your rear shock and cycle the rear end through full travle, do the same with your handle bars and fork. The cable housing should be just a bit longer that it needs to be for it not to get pulled out. Once you have length dialed in make sure the ends of the housing are perpendicular and square. Cut them with a dremel or clean them up with a dremel/grinder after using clippers. Good luck
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You may be right. I still need to give it a serious ride. My other problem I forgot to mention - and that I quickly fixed with my buddy's dremel - was that the outer housing was cut away a couple mm's from the ends so there wasn't much actual full housing to keep it "stuck" in the ferrule. I think I'm good length-wise in the front. I may end up having to add some length to the rear. It's not getting pulled at all by the headtube, but I need to make sure I have enough to accept all the travel. I probably didn't explain the zip tie thing too well. In the front especially, the housing was basically free floating. The additional zip tie just holds the housing in place much more. Net-net, I did a real poor job during my first run of setting up the full length housing. Thanks for the input here. Awesome resource. S

Derailleurs owned: 0

Rollamajig, Flack Jacket, Full Metal Jacket

^maybe those 3 Avid products could help improve things...

http://www.avidbike.com/4_cables_acc...s4_0_home.html

Does anyone know if the Full Metal Jacket tubes can be used with Flack Jacket cables?

C Jones

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

still too short housing is the culprit

you should consider a longer housing/cable for bikes with rear suspension. long enough that it plays freely with out getting dettached from the cable stop when the suspension compresses thus stretching your cable .

Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    You may be right. I still need to give it a serious ride. My other problem I forgot to mention - and that I quickly fixed with my buddy's dremel - was that the outer housing was cut away a couple mm's from the ends so there wasn't much actual full housing to keep it "stuck" in the ferrule. I think I'm good length-wise in the front. I may end up having to add some length to the rear. It's not getting pulled at all by the headtube, but I need to make sure I have enough to accept all the travel. I probably didn't explain the zip tie thing too well. In the front especially, the housing was basically free floating. The additional zip tie just holds the housing in place much more. Net-net, I did a real poor job during my first run of setting up the full length housing. Thanks for the input here. Awesome resource. S