Birdman aka JMJ

Smile Avid mech's: fixed the ringing!

My wife and I have MY2001 Avid Mechanical disk brakes on our fullies, and have had a problem with "ringing" while riding. The brakes work great but the ringing was very annoying. These are the magnet-retained pad type Avids, and the pads would bounce between the magnets and the disc rotor while riding, causing the rotors to ring.

Newer Avids have springs to spread the pads, and no magnets.

I bought a bag of retaining springs (10 per bag, $15 shipped from Speedgoat), clipped off the long tabs with the eyelet at the end, and installed them on all 4 brake calipers.

BTW - currently running EBC green pads, and the retaining springs fit perfectly. Installation was only marginally more difficult that without the retaining springs, similar to the AMP floating-caliper disk brakes I used to have on my AMP B-4. Very little change in set-up.

Rode last night - no ringing, and only very slight rub from wheel flex. Barely detectible increase in lever force. But hey... NO RINGING!

Ta-da! JMJ

"El Whatever"

Congrats!!!!

For sure the springs helped but the pads too. Try the old sinterized pads and you'll notice some more noise but nothing annoying though and no more ringing.

Keep us updated how the EBC Greens work out. I ordered some EBC Golds and have a set of Fibrax sintered pads waiting for actual pads to wear (I helped a bit today riding when wet). I'll let you know how those turn out.
    Check my Site

Birdman aka JMJ

Update - ringing back... kinda... and fixed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    Rode last night - no ringing, and only very slight rub from wheel flex. Barely detectible increase in lever force. But hey... NO RINGING!

Ta-da! JMJ
    My wife noticed a light scraping/ringing noise from here rear brake (why is it always on HER bike?!?!). Anyway, she rides a Titus Racer X. I suspected that the section of the spring clip that passes over the rotor was making slight contact to the rotor. The brake mounts on her Racer X are probably a tad lower than on my Superlite. I shimmed the caliper up with 2 thin washers and realigned everything - rubbing gone.

The spring clips do cause the pads to hit the rotors at a slightly different angle, so you'll have increased brake noise until they bed-in again.

JMJ