Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr.Kildare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    82

    Are Avid Mechanicals Indestructable?

    In two weeks I start a 800km tour in Northern Vietnam.
    I'm planing my spares list - obviously taking spare cables and disc pads.

    I've been thinking about packing a spare Avid disc brake caliper.

    So my question is: has anyone had a failure of an Avid mechanical which rendered the brake unusable on the trail? And what was the problem?

    Your experience, will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    www.justthebonnet.com
    Reputation: Capt_phun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,477
    Never had it rendered unusable, but I have beat the rear caliper pretty hard when I took a fall on some rock. Only thing that happened is the out board pad adjuster got kind of jammed. Popped it out, fixed the "teeth" that hold it in place and it worked. When I got home ordered a new outboard pad adjuster, two knobs = $5. The avid mech's can take a heck out a beating and never once had them fail.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

    I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,836
    I have seen the v.1 caliper pop apart when a nut came loose. The arm came off and some of the internals came out. Not fixable on the trail.

    I have been using them since they first came out and have had zero problems.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    *****************
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,378
    I'm running v.1s on two bikes, 4 years on one, 2.5 years on the other. Except for pads and two lost knobs, no problem. I'd carry a spare knob before a spare caliper.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    ... two lost knobs, no problem. I'd carry a spare knob before a spare caliper.
    I have not lost a knob but I have found several on the trails.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    As Shiggy said only known problem is V1 popped out when a nut came loose.

    If you have a V2, no prob.

    Take a Hayes spare rotor with you. You never know when a rotor might get busted and Hayes' are not only good but cheap also.
    Check my Site

  7. #7
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,137
    mine fell apart during the 2nd season. The pad adjusters would back out after a rough downhill, they didn't seem to hold up to long term use very well. Hydros have been much more reliable for me.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  8. #8
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    mine fell apart during the 2nd season. The pad adjusters would back out after a rough downhill, they didn't seem to hold up to long term use very well. Hydros have been much more reliable for me.
    He's going to Vietnam... if for some reason he gets his hydro lines damaged, can he get fittings easily????

    I bet any Vietnamese LBS has brake cables......
    Check my Site

  9. #9
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Over the years, I've broken more bike frames (1) than Avids (0). My 2.

  10. #10
    Unshaven Yak
    Reputation: Stinky Wiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    503
    Lost the inner adjustment knob in a crash, didn't cause too many problems though...it would slowly back out that pad during a ride but it could be readjusted with fingers when cold & with pliers when hot. This has only happened once over the course of six years of riding on them. No other problems other than that. I've had good luck with my hydro's so far, but if I were to take a trip like that, I'd probably bring the Mechs; my friends who've had hydro's longer have had numerous rides "affected" by problems of one sort or another.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Econoline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    367

    V-brake as a spare ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kildare
    In two weeks I start a 800km tour in Northern Vietnam.
    I'm planing my spares list - obviously taking spare cables and disc pads.

    I've been thinking about packing a spare Avid disc brake caliper.

    So my question is: has anyone had a failure of an Avid mechanical which rendered the brake unusable on the trail? And what was the problem?

    Your experience, will be appreciated.
    My Avid mechs have been 100% reliable after 2 years of use, but I did knock the rear rotor out of true going through some heavy brush and had to replace it to fix the rubbing.

    What you might consider as a spare brake, if your frame/fork/rims will take V's, bring along a complete V brake. That should be somewhat lighter than a spare disc caliper and rotor.

    Mind if I ask about your tour? Is this an organized tour or are you going alone? Vietnam is on my list of places I'd most like to bike tour. Have fun!

  12. #12
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    He's going to Vietnam... if for some reason he gets his hydro lines damaged, can he get fittings easily????

    I bet any Vietnamese LBS has brake cables......
    Can he get the pad adjuster parts and caliper rebuild kit for the avid easily?

    Didn't think so.

    Just take a couple compression nuts and a few feet of hydro housing. Hayes can use dot 3, which is found pretty much everywhere.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  13. #13
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Can he get the pad adjuster parts and caliper rebuild kit for the avid easily?

    Didn't think so.

    Just take a couple compression nuts and a few feet of hydro housing. Hayes can use dot 3, which is found pretty much everywhere.
    Anywhere where in Vietnam??? Believe me that 3rd world countries (like Mexico and Vietnam) outback is not as well assorted of supplies as anywhere in the US (including Alaska).

    Anyway... let him ditch the Avids he already has and buy the new Hayes....

    I still think the Avids are secnod to none regarding durability. I had a set (now in posession of a friend of mine) which now it's in its third year.... zero problems.
    Check my Site

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr.Kildare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    82

    Going round in circles in Vietnam

    Quote Originally Posted by Econoline
    My Avid mechs have been 100% reliable after 2 years of use, but I did knock the rear rotor out of true going through some heavy brush and had to replace it to fix the rubbing.

    What you might consider as a spare brake, if your frame/fork/rims will take V's, bring along a complete V brake. That should be somewhat lighter than a spare disc caliper and rotor.

    Mind if I ask about your tour? Is this an organized tour or are you going alone? Vietnam is on my list of places I'd most like to bike tour. Have fun!
    The ride we have planned is not organised - fly into Hanoi, train to Sapa, ride round in circles back to Hanoi over two weeks.

    The suggestion about the V brake is a good one. I only have V brake mounts on the back, but if I were to trash a front disc caliper I could swap back to front calipers and put the V brake on the back. The only dillema I could possibly have is if I trashed a front disc - I have a Rohloff rear wheel so the front and back discs are not interchangeable.

    Thanks all for the advice.

  15. #15
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,390
    ony problem i've ever had is the same as mentioned above. the inner nut, underneath the outer pad adjuster comeing loose, and an arm coming off.

    put a dab of loctite on the nut when i put it all together, and it's been fine since. that was aobut three years ago.

    to prevent the same again, i've done the same to the other avid calipers in the stable.

    8 in all, with no problem.

    i'd say do that, and just carry some precut cables/housing, and however many spare pads you want.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Similar Threads

  1. Avid mechanicals, few ?ns
    By Lucky13 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 05:33 PM
  2. IS Adapter for my Avid Mechanicals?
    By OilCanBoyd in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 06:57 AM
  3. Taking front wheel off with avid mechanicals
    By ragefan585 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 09:53 AM
  4. hayes 8" rotors with avid mechanicals
    By Duncan in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 06:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •