mtbr member
    Jun 2004

avid mechanicals dragging badly after tire change!?!?

Hey all, total newby to disks. I just swapped the tires out on my new VT3. I pu the wheels back in carefull to lne up in the calipers while installing so I didn;t hit or knock out the pads. Now they drag!!! I tried adjusting the knobs and it made no affect. I have a ride ealry tomorrow morning and will just have to live with them making noise, but can someone help me??

Do I need to reset my calipers everytime I pull a wheel out?? That seems a little outrageous..

Larry
    '93 DB Ascent HT, Manitou front shock, XT Der's, SRT500's, SS7 with 987's
    '04 Giant VT3, bone stock

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by lamrith
    Do I need to reset my calipers everytime I pull a wheel out?? That seems a little outrageous..

Larry
    Only if you can't install your wheels the same way each time you take them off the bike. You have to be really careful to install the wheels exactly the same as they came off every time. Then, and only then will you not have problems with your disc brakes dragging. It would do this with any brand of disc brake you have on your bike, it's not an Avid Disc Brake problem, it's you. Don't take it personally, it's just something you need to learn to do.

Monte

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So take the offending wheel off and reinstall. Also make sure you don't overtighten the quick release as over compressing the skewer can result in the rotor being moved just enough to make it rub. I usually put the wheel in and then just adjust the pads. For me that's easier than trying to get that wheel in exactly the same spot each time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I think I have a good bit of experience with wheel install, 6+years as a mechanic and a good 15+ riding. BUT I get what your saying. I might also be tightening the skewer tighter that originally done. I have a hour before I leave for my ride, so I will give that a shot and see what happens. Disks are just a new thing to me is all.

EDIT: I just went out with the paperwork for the AVID disks I got with the bike. I did the basic set-up procedure and it did get better. One thing I noticed though was that the inside pad on my rear if not"square" to the disk. The pad when looking from behind has a bit of a wedge shape to it like it was not hitting the disk squarely?? Has anyone else seen that before? The brakes are working well and I did actuate them after each adjustment.

Can anyone explain whay they have us adjust the fixed side pad (inside) to stick SO far out?? seems like it removes much of our adjustment range as for me the metal backing plate is flush or protruding a bit from the caliper?? This is a brand new 04 bike, so I would not think the pads are worn out, they look to have a good amount of "meat" to them, just the 1/3 & 2/3 thing pushed that inside pad way over.. Mechanically Iwould think you want to center things and then 1-2 clicks every once in a while to maintainlever feel like you want..??
    Last edited by lamrith; 06-26-2004 at 06:48 AM.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Can anyone explain whay they have us adjust the fixed side pad (inside) to stick SO far out?? seems like it removes much of our adjustment range as for me the metal backing plate is flush or protruding a bit from the caliper?? This is a brand new 04 bike, so I would not think the pads are worn out, they look to have a good amount of "meat" to them, just the 1/3 & 2/3 thing pushed that inside pad way over.. Mechanically Iwould think you want to center things and then 1-2 clicks every once in a while to maintainlever feel like you want..??
    You don't have to adjust the inside pad to stick so far out. At least if your frame has the caliper mount machined properly so it is in the same plane as the dropout face at the axle locknut. The one great thing about the A vid calipers is they can be used on frames that have poor caliper mount alignment.

Can you back the fixed pad "in" and the move the piston side pad in to follow and then re-align your caliper? If not, then your frame probably needs to have the disc mount machined - Magura makes a tool to machine the disc mount face to get perfect alignment. Almost all disc brake mounting/rubbing issues can be solved by facing the disc mount.

Also, having the inside pad "sticking out" a bit more than the piston side is probably not a bad idea. Since this is the side that is fixed, as you apply the brakes, the piston side moves over, strikes the rotor and then (should) move the rotor over to the fixed pad. If the fixed pad was in too far, the rotor might rub on the caliper body.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Man they rubbed like crazy the entire ride, I was hoping they would wear a bit and quiet down, but not so. It looks like both the front and rear brake inside pads are not square to the rotor, the bottoms are closer to it than the tops. This is a 1.5week old GIant VT3 I would think the brake mounts would be good and not need facing??? I think it is this pad angle that is the issue, though I did not have rubbing porblems before I changed the tires. The front even started to squeel real bad at the end of the ride :-/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Man they rubbed like crazy the entire ride, I was hoping they would wear a bit and quiet down, but not so. It looks like both the front and rear brake inside pads are not square to the rotor, the bottoms are closer to it than the tops. This is a 1.5week old GIant VT3 I would think the brake mounts would be good and not need facing??? I think it is this pad angle that is the issue, though I did not have rubbing porblems before I changed the tires. The front even started to squeel real bad at the end of the ride :-/
    Take the wheel off and the pads out and do a complete reinstall. I had that exact thing happen, but I got it straightened out. good luck.

featherweight clydesdale
    I agree with the pad removal and reinstall suggestion. Some bone head things I've done with Avids:

- is having the disk on the wrong side of the silver spring which separates the pads (spring completely on one side of disc instead of both)

- I also put the pads in the caliper upside down one time after to many beers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    haha thanks for the encouragement heh all I did wa a tire swap and then put wheels back on. I have to fix a flat tire tonight so I will play with the front one since it decided to start squeeling just riding down the road without using the brakes.

EDIT: I just came in from fixing the flat on the front tire. I was able to very quickly reset the front disk and it is fine now. The REAR was a PITA not wanting to line up right and having a pad at an angle touching the rotor. FINALLY I got it to line up decent and backed the pads out, I have good lever actuation and no rubbing!! YEHAAA!!

THANKS FOLKS!!!
    Last edited by lamrith; 06-26-2004 at 06:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have found with my inexpensive hubs that they must not be completely round. When I remove the wheel I must reintall with the axle rotated to the same position in the fork. If it is rotated it rubs and squeals like a pig. I have set them up and now have put a dab of finger nail polish on the cone for reference to ease reinstalls.