mtbr member

Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes

I'm Tired Of My Loud V-brakes And Want Disc. My Problem Is That I Can't Spend A Fortune. I Heard That The Avid Mechanical Disc Brakeset Is The Best Bang For The Buck. Any Advice??? Also, Gotta Get A New Disc Wheelset That Is Reasonably Priced. Help

On MTBR hiatus :(

Can't help you on the front wheel but...

Quote Originally Posted by FUEL
    Heard That The Avid Mechanical Disc Brakeset Is The Best Bang For The Buck.
    But if you absolutely, positively have to get a disc on a limited budget, best bang for the buck goes to a front-only Avid install and sticking with a V brake in the rear. Search eBay , mtbr marketplace and all the usual web retailers for a front-only wheel. You can probably pull off this upgrade for less than $150 and enjoy 75% of the benefit of disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Avid Mechanicals are sweet brakes regardless of cost! If you want to go truely low buck, I saw recently that JensonUSA has Hayes mechaicals for $45 each. If you look around you should be able to find some prebuilt wheels with Deore disc or other inexpensive hubs for arounf $100. All this stuff is not the lightest, but it should prove to be quite durable and reliable.

Oh, and disc brakes are not whisper quiet, either. They tend to sqeal when wet, and even when perfectly clean and dry make a slight grinding/hissing noise when applied.

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    There's a new one........caps on every word........

Avids are definitely the best bang for the buck, and worth every penny. No brake is totally silent, you'll get some squealing when they're wet, and a bit of hissing if they've got mud on them. You mountain bike, get used to a bit of noise.

For a wheelset, cheap equals heavy, still, so balance what you want against what you can afford. XT Disc hubs/Rhyno Lite rims still rule the roost for durability, but they're one of the heaviest combos out there. You can get them cheap, though, so it might be worth it. I'm 235 pounds, and rather mercilessly thrashed a set of those wheels for a few years. In fact, my front XT/Rhyno is still going strong, but I had to rebuild the rear wheel due to the bearing races getting a bit.....um.........flattened. Running a SRAM 9.0SL rear hub now, but the original Rhyno rim is still just fine.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

I like 'em

Really enjoying disc brakes over my previous v-brakes. The power, less subceptable to dust and grit, relatively quiet, etc. I have Avid mechs and like that they are easy to install and maintain. The only drawback, which is minor, is that you need to make sure your cable path is as direct and straight as possible. Avid's return springs seems to be on the light side, therefore can feel sluggish is your cable is binding or poorly prepared.

But for $70 bucks a piece, how can you go wrong for the performance it gives!

mtbr member
    Did you know return spring has an adjustment allen head screw to change return spring tension?

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

yes, but still...

Have adjusted the return spring screw, but it goes from a nice lever feel to too stiff and fatiguing. Can't quite figure out why it isn't as smooth as my old V-brakes, which seem to be noodling the brake cable even more.

I'm using Jagwire Mac cables- big and beefy but even with a nice dremel cut housings and greased inner cables, it still feels sluggish.

Anyone have cable suggestions that have lower friction?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by f*nętik
    But if you absolutely, positively have to get a disc on a limited budget, best bang for the buck goes to a front-only Avid install and sticking with a V brake in the rear. Search eBay , mtbr marketplace and all the usual web retailers for a front-only wheel. You can probably pull off this upgrade for less than $150 and enjoy 75% of the benefit of disc brakes.
    yup, I agree with Nate. I have a solitary Avid Mech disc on my singlespeed... it's a 185mm model. On the rear I have an old Arch Rival 50. Since most stopping power comes from the front brake, I've found that the front-only setup is VERY good for most riding, and vastly superior to v-brake rear, v-brake front.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    Have adjusted the return spring screw, but it goes from a nice lever feel to too stiff and fatiguing. Can't quite figure out why it isn't as smooth as my old V-brakes, which seem to be noodling the brake cable even more.

I'm using Jagwire Mac cables- big and beefy but even with a nice dremel cut housings and greased inner cables, it still feels sluggish.

Anyone have cable suggestions that have lower friction?

Try cleaning out the grease and lube w/ silicone spray. I've also heard oil based lubes can degrade the teflon lining; that may have happened w/ yours. If so, you'd need new housing and then the silicone spray...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Half The Price

if you could only come here in the Philippines you can upgrade your bike into disc brakes with half the price:

avid mech (front and rear) Phil Peso 5,000
    Mavic 317 Disc Rim (fron and rear) 4,000
    XT Disc Hubs w/ QR (front and rear) 3,200
    DT Spoke (fron and rear) 2,000
    Total 14,200
    x 56 (56:1$)
    Total US$253.00
    i could send you though what you need. just send me the money for the stuff and mailing.