The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004

Avid Mechanical Calipers with XTR 965 Splined Hubs?....

I'm looking for anyone who has successfully setup Avid Mechanical calipers on a wheelset built with the XTR M965 center-splined disc rotor setup....

i've been told that the XTR splined rotor will not work due to dimension differences on the rotor... but that the XT splined rotor should work and be compatible with the Avid calipers.... anybody out there done this?....

looking at QBP online parts listings, i can't seem to find a 160mm center splined rotor that appears to work on the 965 hub... i see the Saint rotor @ 203mm which says compatible only with m800 hub.... but don't know if it shares mounting compatibility on the XTR965 hub....

any input is greatly appreciated....

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    am i the only one who's wanted to do this?.....

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfootDenny
    am i the only one who's wanted to do this?.....
    What's the "dimensional" problem on the XTR? Brake track width? Offset and diameter should be identical to any IS compatible setup.

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    What's the "dimensional" problem on the XTR? Brake track width? Offset and diameter should be identical to any IS compatible setup.
    i'm unable to confirm that there is an XT splined rotor that shares dimensions (rotor width / braking surface contact area / similar rotor thickness ) to the Avid.... I know the XTR splined rotor is in its own world of dimensions... Shimano has done a good job making that incompatible, it seems. The whole " IS " deal is the problem... it seems Shimano is not going by the international standards.... but I'm hoping that their lower-line rotors (XT / LX) will be closer to the other IS standards...

I simply am hoping to use a wheelset with XTR splined hubs with my Avid mechanicals .... seems simple enough, but i'm not getting definitive info regarding how to make it work....

On MTBR hiatus :(
    What I'm saying is the only dimension that matters is the brake track width, and I'm just not sure what the difference in brake track width is between XTR, XT and what Avid requires.

The XT and XTR centerlock rotors conform to IS mounting offset dimensions, so you'll have no trouble there.

The rotor thickness is of no consequence -- Avid's can handle the thinnest rotor Shîmano can deem "safe to use" -- 1.7mm (???) on the XTR -- to the conventional 1.8mm thickness up to 2.0mm, and probably more.

Really, the only thing "non-standard" about the centerlock system is the departure from the 6-bolt mount. Dimensionally it should be compatible with any IS caliper you can throw at it.

"El Whatever"

You're right on the track Nate...

I'd like to find a link to rotor track width dimensions from different brands.

That should make our lives easier. Only thing you have to care is about overall diameter and brake track width. The rotor thickness is irrelevant as all brakes compensate from one or another way for pad wear and all frame mounts are IS (Forks are another story).

Anyone would dare?? Any working on a workshop?? Maybe Larry from High Mountain Cyclery could help out as he has access to any brake out there??? Shiggy maybe (brakes are attached to wheels)??

Also a ultimate showdown between brake pads brands should be nice.... I'm starting to day dream I guess.....
    Check my Site

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004

rotor track width is important...

Yep... it would be nice to have the comparisons ... naturally the problem is if the braking surface of the newer splined rotors is narrower than the Avid pads.... that would cause obvious problems with pad wear / sticking / etc...

Nate -- your input is appreciated. Thanks. Keep it up

anything I can do to keep from being tied to a proprietary system ( Shimano ) will interest me... I'd prefer to continue to pick and choose individual components as I please..... wouldn't you ?

"El Whatever"

For sure!!

I love Shimano stuff but I want to have the option to choose. I love Shimano all along my drivetrain (price/quality is awesome on mid priced groups XT, LX, Deore)... but when it comes to braking Avid rules.

I think it shold be a smart Shimano move to make their stuff more compatible. That's how they got to be the best selling components factory. When everybody realized that mixing components was not a good idea just because Shimano stuff all together was better that's when you started seeing full equipped shimano bikes.

I hope Shimano to go back to compatibility standards. I would buy more Shimano stuff....
    Check my Site

Got Dirt?
    Jun 2004

no problems yet...

i am currently using this setup. '04 Avid Mechanical (160mm) with Shimano XT rotor on '04 Shimano XT WH-M765 tubeless wheels(splined).

I was using the avid's (best brake period) with some tubed wheels and the avid rotors prior to. I wanted to go with Crossmax wheels, but was able to get the XT wheelset a rotors for $200 less than even the Crossmax XL. So, i figured what the hell.

After about 75 miles of mid to hard paced riding everything seems fine. Only a few minor issues that i can live with:

1) When i am stopped and my bike rocks a little, there is a little chime from the pads on the rotor. BUT, i also like a hair trigger so...

2) When braking lightly, i can feel the brakes modulate, for lack of a better work. What i mean is that there is a slight feeling of grabbing and releasing on the brakes. The pads may not be worn in yet and the calipers are BRAND NEW as well. Again, it is very slight and ONLY when braking lightly. Under normal and heavy braking, they seem to work just as well as with the Avid rotors; stupendous stopping power.

I talked to Avid tech support before i went with this setup, and they said that as long as the rotor is the recommended diameter for the Calipers, there shouldn't be a problem. A buddy of mien said that the only problem he could see is if there was something in the rotor design, or not in, that could cause problems since with the Avid's, only 1 pad modulates while with Shimano, both move.

So far, 99.9% happy with the results and for half the price of Crossmax.

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    Warp -- I pretty much agree with you....

for the record, I'm not Anti-Shimano .... I'm Pro-Choice (relating to bike parts only )

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

No problems with XTR hubs/rotors but

I've been running a set up with Avid mechanicals with XTR centerlock rotors (on XTR hubs) for a couple of months now. I haven't had any real problems that I could definitely pin on the rotors. My only issues are around squeal when wet which I think is mostly a pad issue. Still trying to find the perfect pad and will try some of the suggestions re: brake pad on the next replacement.

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by arnobarno
    I've been running a set up with Avid mechanicals with XTR centerlock rotors (on XTR hubs) for a couple of months now. I haven't had any real problems that I could definitely pin on the rotors. My only issues are around squeal when wet which I think is mostly a pad issue. Still trying to find the perfect pad and will try some of the suggestions re: brake pad on the next replacement.
    arnobarno !! thanks ! at least I've now heard of someone trying your combo... i wonder if you'd know if the XT splined rotors are the same attachment as your XTR ? and, better yet, if the braking track is the same on your XTR as on the XT...

how does the XTR splined braking surface match up to your Avid pads? I've been assuming that the XTR rotor braking surface is narrower than the avid rotor... and would therefore cause problems bedding into the Avid pads.... if you have an avid rotor around, it would be great to hear of the dimensional differences.

thanks for your input -- this gets me one step closer....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

XT rotors

are the same attachment as far as I know. I can't help you regarding rotor width though. I'm pretty sure that Avid had something in their FAQs on their website that the Avid Mechanicals would work fine with the centerlock rotors.

good luck!
    arn

self destructive
    look in the qbp catoluge there is a center lock to is standard adaptor that you can use the avid rotors on the centerlock hubs as long as it is not part of the xt or xtr paired spoke wheels
    When it rains it pours.

mtbr member

This is very interesting ....

Quote Originally Posted by boris the blade
    look in the qbp catoluge there is a center lock to is standard adaptor that you can use the avid rotors on the centerlock hubs as long as it is not part of the xt or xtr paired spoke wheels
    Do you have more info. pict? price ? etc

Cheers,
    Gak

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boris the blade
    Boris .... can i trouble you for a link ? I'm not finding the adapter....

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfootDenny
    Boris .... can i trouble you for a link ? I'm not finding the adapter....

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR0380

there's a photo of a Problem Solvers adapter for using 6-bolt rotors on the centerlock hubs.... interesting... $16.99

self destructive
    yup that is it.
    When it rains it pours.

ballbuster

Funny....

on a side note, I noticed something at the TFK swap meet today. There were tons of folks selling brand new centerlock rotors. I'll bet it was everybody who bought XT/XTR brakes and using Chris King hubs, and they all bought ISO rotors.