mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Avid Mechanical Bracket Problem...

OK, let me preface this by saying that I'm not exactly Mr. Goodwrench with bikes. This is really the first nice bike I've ever had and these are the first mods I've ever done to one.

I recently just put a slew of parts on my 05 Rockhopper, and I'm almost done except for one thing. This could very well be a stupid thing I overlooked, but when I install the caliper carrier bracket, the rotor rubs on it. No matter what I do, it still hits it. What's the deal? Do I have the bracket on wrong? Is the frame off? I'm really at a loss. It looks as though this is the way it's supposed to go on, but it sure won't...

Here's some pics of what's going on...

Again, I don't have enough experience to really know whats up with this. I'm much more knowledgeable about the brakes on my car...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The bracket looks right.

The hub axle may be mis-spaced. An easy way to check would be to put a different disc wheel in your frame.

If it is not the hub you can face the disc tabs. You do not need much clearance. One of my bikes has less than 2mm between rotor and mount.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Yeppers, you definitely have an issue.

It's either the hub or the frame, and I'm guessing the latter.

But the easiest way to verify is get your hand's on a buddy's (or a shop's) know good rear wheel and throw it in to your dropouts. If the rotor clears, you've identified your problem.

If not, your frame tab is out of alignment and/or in need of facing. But since it's a new frame, I'd let Specialized handle it rather than searching high and low for a shop with a Gnaan-o-mat.

Tracking up the place
    Get with the LBS and try to find an older model AVid bracket rear ---ahh are you tryin to run 185 ?? Maybe a issue with the specialized..or need the bracket for 185 for a speci....I have the front I think in this pic, but note the smaller width...You might notice to that clearances are tight and and if you getting working the rear wil ding when warped or bent.. .02 I run 185 in front and 160 in rear....works fine for me...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Haroow; 04-22-2005 at 11:54 AM.
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

The forged mount does not give you any more clearance. Its maximum width is the the same as the machined mount (I have both).

The Specialized frame is (or should be) IS. No special mount needed.
    mtbtires.com

Tracking up the place
    technically his adapter should work? Right. But facing the mount on the frame I would see maybe 1mm clearance...Even with my superlight I was able to get 2mm and never face it. I wonder..It looks like he's trying to run a 185 adapter with a 160 disc..the length of the cam lever is the only reason I wonder its aprox the radi of the disc..He would'nt need the adapter for 185(mine is clearly stamped) If he went the other way with an adapter to the 160 it would fit..shig what you think??? see what I'm talkin about---
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Haroow; 04-22-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    technically his adapter should work? Right. But facing the mount on the frame I would see maybe 1mm clearance...Even with my superlight I was able to get 2mm and never face it. I wonder..It looks like he's trying to run a 185 adapter with a 160 disc..the length of the cam lever is the only reason I wonder its aprox the radi of the disc..He would'nt need the adapter for 185(mine is clearly stamped) If he went the other way with an adapter to the 160 it would fit..shig what you think??? see what I'm talkin about---
    Whether he has a 160 or 185 mount does not matter for the rotor clearance problem.

I have machined and forged 160 mounts and machined and forged 185 mounts.

I do not think this is a mount issue. It is either the hub axle spacing or the frame.
    mtbtires.com

Tracking up the place
    SHig I think your right-- that adapter does not look the same as my 185--- the distance for bolt holes is different...and looking at the xt hub it looks to sit correctly in the dropouts, I wonder if it is his frame too..

I guess maybe also having the rear hub tore down and redone, and rechecking the clearance is an option....YA know he might want to run on to the specialized thread and work other speci folks....

I know nothingtk... but I always keep learning

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for input. I really appreciate the help. I think I'll just take it down to the shop and let them deal with it. Seems like no matter what the problem is, it's out of my control at this point.

Out of curiousity, if the frame is tweeked, any ideas on how it can be remedied?

As far as the setup I'm running, it's just the 160mm rotor kit front and rear..

Quote Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
    Thanks for input. I really appreciate the help. I think I'll just take it down to the shop and let them deal with it. Seems like no matter what the problem is, it's out of my control at this point.

Out of curiousity, if the frame is tweeked, any ideas on how it can be remedied?

As far as the setup I'm running, it's just the 160mm rotor kit front and rear..
    I am betting it is the hub. Easy fix.

If it is the frame Specialized should make it good.
    mtbtires.com