BBW
    mtbr member

New question here. Avid Mechanical BB7 question????please!!!

When I lock the brakes all the way (front and rear), I can move the wheel with my hand about 1 inch back and forth (no side play). This are the pads moving inside the caliper and I can feel the play when I brake in the trail... Is there something wrong with the brake pads? brakes in general? is there a fix???? :-(
    Thank you very much dudes!!!!!!!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    When I lock the brakes all the way (front and rear), I can move the wheel with my hand about 1 inch back and forth (no side play). This are the pads moving inside the caliper and I can feel the play when I brake in the trail... Is there something wrong with the brake pads? brakes in general? is there a fix???? :-(
    Sounds like the pads aren't seated in the caliper correctly. Mine kind of "snapped" in to place, and once they were in there was no movement.

BBW
    mtbr member

How do I do that??

When I place the pads in the caliper they "click" in place. You said that maybe they are not placed? how do I do this????
    Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    silly question...but your rotor is tight right? i've seen some loosen up and this is one of the symptoms...the avids should be torqued to 55 in/lbs...
    "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven"

I wouldn't think the pads would work very well if they weren't seated; I'd check the pads for damage just in case. I'd also check all the rotor bolts and cps bolts are properly torqued down. I've never had that happen on mine, if it's setup correctly and does that I'd be callin' Avid...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    The only thing I can think of is that something is loose.

Are all your mounting bolts tightened?

Are all the CPS concave and convex washers positioned correctly to face each other?

It sounds like your caliper is strong and the pads clamp down on the rotors tightly, but then the extra slipping movement is caused by something loose like your caliper.

Does this slipping happen on both the front and rear calipers? What kind of fork are you running, a Manitou post mount?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Things that come to mind:
    1. Pads not in correctly
    2. Fork Bushings are loose
    3. Rotor not tight
    4. Headset is loose on your bike

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    The only thing I can think of is that something is loose.

Are all your mounting bolts tightened?

Are all the CPS concave and convex washers positioned correctly to face each other?

It sounds like your caliper is strong and the pads clamp down on the rotors tightly, but then the extra slipping movement is caused by something loose like your caliper.

Does this slipping happen on both the front and rear calipers? What kind of fork are you running, a Manitou post mount?

Everything is tight! it happens in the fron and rear. I'm running a Fox Float 100mm. I can feel the pads moving a little bit inside the caliper when the wheel is locked and I try to move it whith the hand back and forth....

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Things that come to mind:
    1. Pads not in correctly
    2. Fork Bushings are loose
    3. Rotor not tight
    4. Headset is loose on your bike
    I took the pads off the caliper and reinstaled them... same thing. They made the 'click" sound when instaled but they have a little play inside the caliper.... is this normal??

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Humm... I guess it's time to call Avid for some warranty claims. Avids are one of the simplest brakes to install and there shouldn't be a problem like what you are having.