Thread: Avid Mechanical

mtbr member

Avid Mechanical

HI,

Just ordered a set of these with SD7 levers and 160mm rotors (to fit on new Mavic Crossland Wheels) for my commutting bike.

Any comments or advice on fitting/bedding in etc?

I would also be interested in everybodies advice/opinion on them as an alterntive to Hydros. I currently have a set of Giants own MPH brakes on my Giant NRS and I am thinking of changing them. I initially was looking at Hope Mono Minis or Avid Juicy. However, everybody seems to rave about the mechanicals so I was considering just getting them.

At the end of the day I can get the full set with levers for the price of one Hope and could almost get two sets for the price of Juicy.

Regards

TR
    Angry bunny
    I bought a set of these on the strength of reviews from MTBR.
    The short of it is:
    - they are great value
    - they are easy to install (just follow the instructions that they send with the brakes
    - they are simple to set up (I am a complete novice but have set these up with no problems at all)
    - they stop you real well
    - they don't grab like my old Hayes (gone are the days of me locking up the back wheel every time I want to slow down on a downhill section)
    - they don't squeal like the Hayes did
    I did not notice any bedding in period with mine. I put them on, set them up and took them riding and they worked straight away.
    Only thing I will say is to be careful installing your wheel onto the bike. I didn't and ended up taking a chunk out of the disc pad and bending the little clip that holds the pads in. Still works but could have been messy.

mtbr member

Great!

I have used Avid Mech with SD7 for a few seasons now without any complatints. A guy i ride with bought the hope mini's on his bike which is almost identical to mine. He liked them for a while, but has now since gone away from them.

I like the feel of them better than any hydro i have tried, only difference being when I went up to Sunday River and Attitash and spent a big part of the day decending my forarms and hands got real tired and real sore quick ( as compared to before when i was using xt hydro) the performance was there, just harder on the body. But since i don't do that very often it's not a big deal

Setup and ride is easy as well as adjustments down the road---i have not found a better brake setup yet

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Great choice

Great choice in brakes, you won't be disappointed. Alignment and adjustments are cake with Avid mechs. Good power, little or no noise. My only beef is that they can feel a little sluggish if you cable to the rear is worn or making severe bends. For some reason it's more apparent with Avid mechs than on my old v-brakes.