mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Avid Mech V Shimano 515L Mech

Anyone used both and can comment on setup, power, maintainance and anyother factors. Thanks.

"El Whatever"
    Get the Avid Mechs. Hands down.

Both brakes are very good. I have had both.

Avid
    Pros:
    Superb Power, ease of installation and maintenance (even easier than vee brakes), nice modulation. Three rotor size diameters to choose from. Very tough.
    Cons:
    Pads insconsistency. You could get a very good pair or a very poor pair off from stock.
    Aftermarket pads like koolstops, galfers and EBC can cure this. Price (for a few bux more you can get hydros, not necessarily better though)

Shitmano
    Pros:
    Nice power, very good modulation. Ease of maintenance. Durable. Price.
    Cons:
    Installation a bit tricky (still very straightforward though). Regular Wet weather braking performance (due to organic pads, swapping for semimetallic pads could cure this up but it would give a bit less modulation), no much rotor choices from manufacturer (you should use aftermarket if you woul like to increase rotor dia.), Heavy, heavy.

My vote goes for the Avid here. They might be expensive for a mech but they are super reliable and super ease of maintain and install. The CPS washers make this brake a breeze to install. Once properly set, you will hardly have to do anything else than adjusting/changin pads or changing cables and housings (not done every week, right??). The Avid pads used to be hit or miss. Maybe now with the new B4 compound would be more reliable and long lasting but I didn't got to try them. That should be the only gripe. Just install them as Avid says and you're good to go.

SHimanos are an interesting brake for the price. Powerful (not close to the avid), very modulable and plain simple. Its installation can be a bit more tricky, depending on how your brake tabs are aligned (as most of any other brake but avids) but maintenance is easy too. The organic pads get wet and are hard to dry up, so they loose power under wet and it takes a bit long to dry the brakes up (compared to other discs, still waaayyy better than vees). They are heavy. Very heavy but that only make them very tough. It might be the thougher part made by Shimano but at the expense of weight.

I hope this helps.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Helps alot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Heavy

Does anyone know the difference in weight between the two. Thanks.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by neville
    Does anyone know the difference in weight between the two. Thanks.
    I dunno... Like a pound?? The caliper is the one that's heavy as hell
    Check my Site