Dr. Pepper drinker

New question here. Avid mech/Shimano centerlock compatability question

I'm looking into getting a disc wheelset and one of the more promising deals thus far is Mavic 717 disc rims and Shimano XT M-765 hubs. My biggest concern is whether or not these hubs will work with Avid mech's. This is the hub description from Performance:

ShimanoŽ XT M-765 9 Speed Front Hub
    The perfect balance of low weight and strength. Double contact sealing along with Borozon treated bearing races provide low-friction rolling action. Compatible with Shimano Center-Lock brake rotors. Black (BLK).

If I'm reading that correctly the hubs are Center-Lock only . Is that a correct assumption? Will this require I ditch the Avid rotors and buy some Shimano Center-Lock rotors?

Thanks in advance for any help, never realized that trying to get a disc set up could be so much work!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Recent threads have discussed a center lock to 6-bolt adapter available from QBP. But otherwise, yes, you would have to aquire a pair of Shîmano CL rotors to use with your Avîd calipers.

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    I'm looking into getting a disc wheelset and one of the more promising deals thus far is Mavic 717 disc rims and Shimano XT M-765 hubs. My biggest concern is whether or not these hubs will work with Avid mech's. This is the hub description from Performance:

ShimanoŽ XT M-765 9 Speed Front Hub
    The perfect balance of low weight and strength. Double contact sealing along with Borozon treated bearing races provide low-friction rolling action. Compatible with Shimano Center-Lock brake rotors. Black (BLK).

If I'm reading that correctly the hubs are Center-Lock only . Is that a correct assumption? Will this require I ditch the Avid rotors and buy some Shimano Center-Lock rotors?

Thanks in advance for any help, never realized that trying to get a disc set up could be so much work!
    In addition to needing Shimano rotors, I would advise against this because it is a Performance wheelset. I bought a pair of XT disc/317's from them that were described as "Black", but were only black rims with silver hubs and spokes when they arrived.

Okay, no big deal. But the real deal breaker is that this wheel set WILL NOT hold tension. It's been a constant fight to keep these wheels true, and because of low tension, I have put two flat spots in the rear rim. This can't be blamed on the rim, it's entirely down to poor wheel build.

I will never buy wheels from Performance again. If you must, at least take them to a good LBS and have them tensioned and trued before you ride them. That could well offset the cost to where you could have bought from a reliable wheelbuilder in the first place though.

I did a quick check at Speedgoats website, and they will build you a set with M760 six bolt hubs for $283 with black spokes (silver is less). That may seem alot more than the $199.99 at Performance, but if you factor in shipping (Speedgoat is free, Performance is $25.00) and the tensioning required to make a machine built wheel last, you're bucks ahead with Speedgoat.

Dr. Pepper drinker

Thanks for your thoughts...

I'll have to check speedgoat out, will also save me a few bucks not having to buy the shimano rotors if I can get something with 6 bolt rather than centerlock.