mtbr member

Avid Mech setup question

I am installing some Avid Mechanical brakes for the first time. The installation is pretty straightforward. In fact, the front brake is working fine but the rear has some grinding. No matter what I do, I can't adjust the inside and outside knobs so that the grinding goes away and the brake still grabs tight. If I set it up the brake grabs tight then the wheel barely rotates due to friction.

It seems that it is the outside pad that is causing most of the trouble. The rotor is straight and the wheel is aligned well.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
    No, sir, I didn't steal it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    1. have you undone the caliper to adaptor mount bolts when aligning the pads
    2. is the adapter definately a rear one
    3. do the red knobs let you make a gap between the pads
    4. do you have a rare disc hub, some discs can stick out further than others due to hub

if not god alone knows

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

try tiny washers to space out the caliper from the rotor!

You said the outboard pad is rubbing...use washers to space it away from the rotor and dial OUT the inboard pad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

duh...

My bad...I re-read that and I am a retard...you would have to file a little bit to bring the caliper out...file on the tabs on the bike NOT the caliper! File the inside little bits at a time until you bring the caliper out a bit.

mtbr member

Is the rear mounting bracket truly different for 160 mm Avid Mech?

Quote Originally Posted by drjekyll
    1. have you undone the caliper to adaptor mount bolts when aligning the pads
    2. is the adapter definately a rear one3. do the red knobs let you make a gap between the pads
    4. do you have a rare disc hub, some discs can stick out further than others due to hub

if not god alone knows
    I just bought an Avid Mech disc 160 mm from PricePoint, I specified rear, the sticker on the box says rear, the receipt says rear, yet the bracket looks exactly like the bracket on my front Avid Mech disc brake. Did PricePoint screw up? I will call them, I just know that they won't know the answer and will just advise me to send it back. Heckuva deal at $70, so I'd like to use it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kikukawa Kid
    I am installing some Avid Mechanical brakes for the first time. The installation is pretty straightforward. In fact, the front brake is working fine but the rear has some grinding. No matter what I do, I can't adjust the inside and outside knobs so that the grinding goes away and the brake still grabs tight. If I set it up the brake grabs tight then the wheel barely rotates due to friction.

It seems that it is the outside pad that is causing most of the trouble. The rotor is straight and the wheel is aligned well.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
    #1,..check to see that you have the correct pad spacing to disc. (2/3 fixed side; 1/3 piston side)

#2,..loosen the CPS bolts and verify that the caliper is true to the disc.

#3,..follow Avid's instructions with regard to the tightening of the inner and outer red knobs.

#4,..tighten the CPS bolts, and set your pad spacing.

Hope this helps,....

Ol' DirtDawg

customized
    Sep 2003
    Dial in the inside pad some, I usually go half way. Dial the outside pad all the way. Loosen up the bolts to the caliper/adapter interface. Pull the brake lever. Tighten the adapter bolts where the caliper attaches. Dial in the inner and outer pads.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    I just bought an Avid Mech disc 160 mm from PricePoint, I specified rear, the sticker on the box says rear, the receipt says rear, yet the bracket looks exactly like the bracket on my front Avid Mech disc brake. Did PricePoint screw up? I will call them, I just know that they won't know the answer and will just advise me to send it back. Heckuva deal at $70, so I'd like to use it.

Thanks!
    Yes, it is different. A rear 160 mm mount to bigger than a front 160 mm mount. The front also has an "F" on it and the rear a "R".

If you have the wrong one tell PP to send you the correct mount. You just need to mount.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common