Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Avid Mech setup

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    451

    Avid Mech setup

    Looking at getting Avid Mechanicals (was going to get Hope Minis, but more expensive) and am just wondering what size rotors i should be using.
    they'll be going on a hardtail with a rock shox REBA fork, so i'd leave a 6 inch on the back, is a 7 inch on the front too much for the REBA?
    Thanks for your help,
    wil

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312
    You will not find 6" or 7" rotors for Avids (or most other brakes either).
    The 160 mm rotor will be fine for the back and the 185 mm should work on the Reba.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
    Reputation: summitlt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You will not find 6" or 7" rotors for Avids (or most other brakes either).
    The 160 mm rotor will be fine for the back and the 185 mm should work on the Reba.
    Sigh... thats really bugs you doesnt it.

    Technically theyre not 6 or 7 inch brakes. Theyre 160mm 185mm and 205 mm
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!

  4. #4
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    Looking at getting Avid Mechanicals (was going to get Hope Minis, but more expensive) and am just wondering what size rotors i should be using.
    they'll be going on a hardtail with a rock shox REBA fork, so i'd leave a 6 inch on the back, is a 7 inch on the front too much for the REBA?
    Thanks for your help,
    wil
    Really depends on the terrain you're going to ride, and you weight. Maybe you can tell us a little more.

    As you go to larger diameters, not only do you realize more braking power, but decreased modulation (i.e. increased grabbiness). Larger rotors also shed heat better.

    Generally if you're 180 (ballpark) or below and don't ride much in the way of steep or extended downhills, you're probably ok with the 160's. The original 165's were pleanty of power for me at 230 lbs but quickly overheated on my local 2000' descents. The front 185's I have now don't overheat as easily, but are grabbier in the slow speed techincal terrain.

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,312
    Quote Originally Posted by summitlt
    Sigh... thats really bugs you doesnt it.

    Technically theyre not 6 or 7 inch brakes. Theyre 160mm 185mm and 205 mm
    203mm, which is 8".

    6" is ~152mm
    7" ~178mm

    Avid does not and has never described their rotor sizes in inches.

    Some e-tailers have.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Similar Threads

  1. Avid Mech overhaul
    By Roy in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
  2. Hydro vs. Avid mech
    By spacoli in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 10:11 AM
  3. Help with Avid Mech 185mm setup with Fox Vanilla
    By BlackOut in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 03:22 PM
  4. Avid Mech chirping sound help?
    By Murchman in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 09:11 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 03:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •