outclassed by his bike

Avid Mech Pad Squeal Re- Re- Re-visited

Yes, I know there are about thirty threads on here that address the general subject of "what pads should I get for my Avid mechanicals." Unfortunately the responses are all over the map; there is no consensus.

So I want to take another shot at the question, but this time I'm going to make it easy and specify that I don't care much about power (within reason), I don't care much about wear (within reason), I care somewhat about modulation, but I care tremendously about squeal. I have tried all the usual things, including cleaning the rotors with alcohol, making sure the fixed pad is close to the rotor, and abrading the pads. They still howl like a banshee when wet. (They are fine when dry, but it's not dry much where I ride.) Now, of course I do care a bit about those other things, but I only weigh 130 and I ride XC, so I don't put a lot of extreme demands on the pads beyond those the wet and gritty Maine environment imposes.

Be directive. Thanks!

Addendum: Currently running Avid OEM 2003 and 2004 pads. I've been happy with their performance other than the squeal.
    Last edited by qcanoe; 05-11-2005 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Add more info

Anytime. Anywhere.

Squealllllll

Mine have always squealed when wet no matter what pads I'm using. I don't worry about it though I'm glad that my braking performance dosn't suffer.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    If the fixed (inner) pad is too far from the rotor the brake is more likely to squeal.

Most pads will squeal to some degree in the wet.

The EBC Gold pads are less likely to squeal IME.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i am an employee at a local bike shop, and when i first built my bike and took it out into the store parking lot, the front brake squealed. it was expected though. the brakes were brand new and hadn't gone through the "break-in" period, so i returned inside and fiddled with the alignment of the pads. i found that if i snugged the inside pad up close to the rotor, just enough to keep it from rubbing, that the brakes were completely squeal-less. i've adjusted the outer pad and the cable tension so i can easily modulate them, and they haven't squealed yet. the bike is still new, so there's still a chance of the squeal arising, but i'm hoping for the best.

mtbr platinum member
    It sounds like he understands the fixed pad / rotor thing.

I've tried B4's and C4's now, and they're both the same IMO, when it comes to squeal when wet. I've found that the only thing that helps is being spot-on when it comes to alignment to the rotor and 1/3 & 2/3 rule.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    ... being spot-on when it comes to alignment to the rotor and 1/3 & 2/3 rule.
    I have ignored that since late '00. Just center the rotor in the caliper slot and adjust the pads as Greg-O suggests.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common