mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Avid Mech Disk Problem..wont work

Ever since I bought the mechanical disk brake package, it wont work right. It sqeals like nothing you've ever heard...the noise goes through the whole metal frame of the bike and amplifies it, and this is from moderate, not even heavy braking. Brake heavier and it gets worse. Problem # 2 is the bike simply wont stop. Now, my fork did have 2 bad seals and there was oil all over the place, but I had the fort rebuilt. I ditched the pads, put hayes pads on, and the exact same thing happens. I've tried wiping the disc down, sanding the disk, sanding the pads, watering the pads, messed with the settings of the brakes...etc, and every method I've tried does absolutely nothing at all. Same result. The bike shop guy put his finger in the bottom of the fork and showed me some oil leftover residue in the inside of the fork that i missed. Other than that everything is spic&span, so whats the deal? oh I do have the old 98 Bomber fork and have the UK converter to make the brake fit on the fork right, but i dont think it has anything to do with my problem. So whats up with this?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by thelbigKHS
    Ever since I bought the mechanical disk brake package, it wont work right. It sqeals like nothing you've ever heard...the noise goes through the whole metal frame of the bike and amplifies it, and this is from moderate, not even heavy braking. Brake heavier and it gets worse. Problem # 2 is the bike simply wont stop. Now, my fork did have 2 bad seals and there was oil all over the place, but I had the fort rebuilt. I ditched the pads, put hayes pads on, and the exact same thing happens. I've tried wiping the disc down, sanding the disk, sanding the pads, watering the pads, messed with the settings of the brakes...etc, and every method I've tried does absolutely nothing at all. Same result. The bike shop guy put his finger in the bottom of the fork and showed me some oil leftover residue in the inside of the fork that i missed. Other than that everything is spic&span, so whats the deal? oh I do have the old 98 Bomber fork and have the UK converter to make the brake fit on the fork right, but i dont think it has anything to do with my problem. So whats up with this?
    Sounds like you hadn't bedded your pads in. Clean your rotor with isopropyl alcohol and install new pads.

Then, go to a long but not very sloped grade. Do some stops from 15-20 mph to 0 applying the brakes gently. Repeat as needed. You'll feel how they get power up with each try you make. Do it in dry conditions. The avids are known for squealing like dying pigs if they're wet and it won't help your bed in process.

The normal Avid sintered pads will bed in rather quick but the semi-metallic compound Hayez uses takes a bit longer in my experience.

Other than that... I wouldn't know
    Check my Site

how heavy are you ??

this is the fix

clean rotor with dawn dish soap ...and get all of it off the rotor ...use new pads and bed the them in slowly...like the other poster said ...you will be all set then

Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Problem is fixed...turns out I had some oil left on the rotor from before i had my fork seals replaced...was blowing oil all over. I had cleaned the rotor with a rag....but I guess its critical to get the rotor totally cleaned with alchohol, brake cleaner, whatever..and then sand the pads down and bed them in...also there was some oily stuff in the grooves of the rotor..so that has to all come out. Thanks guys.