mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Avid mech discs with XTR levers?

I'm new to the disc brake world and still trying to figure everything out. I've tried the search but didn't find a thread that addressed this specific question. I have XTR v-brake levers from around 1999-2000 and would like to know if I can use them with Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes - and if so how the performance is. i.e. 'you can use them but _____ would be better - and why' or 'yeah, they rock - you are good to go'

Thanks in advance-

On MTBR hiatus :(

Yeah, go for it...

That's the beauty of Avid's -- use any V-brake lever you please.

A lot of riders state they prefer the ergonomics of XTR levers over Avid levers. XTRs have Shimano's Servo Wave, which provides a leverage adjustment similar to Avid's Speed Dial, so you can tweak the feel to your liking.

xtr levers are good

I ran XTR levers for a year or so with Avid mechanical disks and thought they were a good match. I think the XTR levers are nicer in shape, feel, finish, and construction than any cable brake levers that Avid makes (minus the Ultimates). I say go for it - use the XTRs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by condoor
    I'm new to the disc brake world and still trying to figure everything out. I've tried the search but didn't find a thread that addressed this specific question. I have XTR v-brake levers from around 1999-2000 and would like to know if I can use them with Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes - and if so how the performance is. i.e. 'you can use them but _____ would be better - and why' or 'yeah, they rock - you are good to go'

Thanks in advance-

I have XTR levers with Avid Disc on one bike and they are OK, a little grabby. I also have Avid Utimates with Avid Disc on my main ride and the difference is noticeable. The XTR lever will work fine, you'll just have to pay more attention to your grip on them. With the Ultimates, once you dial them in, they just work, where you can pay more attention to the trail.

Before experiencing the Ultimates, the XTR worked for me and liked them then. You already have them, try them out and judge for your self.

Only Democrat in Utah
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by condoor

Thanks in advance-
    I have that setup on my Turner XCE. Works great.