Dr. Pepper drinker

Avid mech discs: speed dial lever/shifter question

This might be a stupid question but I'm trying to figure out what set of shifters most of the avid disc users out there find to be a good and comfortable set up with the speed dial levers. I've been planning on getting a set of the 7" avid mechs, full metal jacket cables and speed dial 7 levers but I got a little ahead of myself. Both of my bikes (Trek Fuel 90 and 7000) are currently set up with the stock LX shifter/brake combo so removing the brake levers will require I get a new set of shifters as well. Any advice on what to get? Should I consider just setting up the Avids using the old levers for now or is that going to significantly decrease the feel of the discs?
    Thanks!

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Have Speed dial Ti

I have the Avid Speed Dial Ti levers and very happy with them. They seem to be well matched to the performance of the Avid Mech discs & no real issues or noticble difference in ergonomics compared to my Shimano XT v-brake setup on the prev bike. I hear the Avid Ultimates are the best, but you're probably good with any of their offerings. Maybe some others are mixing brands with success and have better input for you.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    This might be a stupid question but I'm trying to figure out what set of shifters most of the avid disc users out there find to be a good and comfortable set up with the speed dial levers. I've been planning on getting a set of the 7" avid mechs, full metal jacket cables and speed dial 7 levers but I got a little ahead of myself. Both of my bikes (Trek Fuel 90 and 7000) are currently set up with the stock LX shifter/brake combo so removing the brake levers will require I get a new set of shifters as well. Any advice on what to get? Should I consider just setting up the Avids using the old levers for now or is that going to significantly decrease the feel of the discs?
    Thanks!
    You can setup up the discs with the LX levers, no problem. Maybe not as much as the Speed dials but LX still should have some modulation adjustment. This will at least buy you some time unitl you figure out if you want to upgrade your shifters. I really don't think you should run into any shifter incompatabilities with the Avid levers though so whatever you want to use will be fine.

"El Whatever"

Ride'm 'till they break...

You have no reason to change your levers. I had a pair of STX RC levers which turn out to be the same than LX. They did breathe some life into my old lateral pull crappy brakes and for sure they will work on your Avids... may not be the best choice, but there's no reason to change them if you gotta change the shifters. Just play with any on-board adjustment and find yours.

My advice... ride the stuff 'till they break and/or get the new levers and shifters for the time you got planned the drivetrain update.

Avid Speed Dial 7/Deore Shifters and you'll be out without having to renegotiate the mortgage. XT shifters are slightly better but you'd rather buy the normal shifters now. Shimano is changing from Rapid-Fire to Dual Control levers on XT, XTR and LX. Not heard about this change on Deore.
    Check my Site

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Thanks!
    I upgraded from Deore Vees to Avid mechs and left the sh'mano shifters in place with no issues. I've heard the Avid levers improve brake handling immensely, but the old ones work just fine. I'll probably upgrade to Avid levers when the current ones wear out.

"El Whatever"
    Drew: IMHO, you have one of the best couples for the Avid Mechanicals. I had a setup like that and it simply blows off the Avid AD3 hands down. Some better Avid levers might work better but you just can't beat the price/benefit of the Deores. I didn't miss any adjustment on the Deores 'cause I needed no any.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

avid

i am running the avid mechs with the speed dial 7 levers and they are a great combo. and you are smart to use the full metal jacket--you will get a noticible difference in performance. as far as shifters go i am running the sram xo twist and they are the best i have ever used ( you will have to change out the rear der if you ever use these) but it's well worth it.

Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]