DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Avid mech disc question...

Hopefully a common issue and therefore a quick question and answer. I got my front disc set up fine. But with the back one, the outer pad (the one that actually moves) sticks inward when I pull the brake and then release. I don't know if this is the result of 1) not getting that pad clicked in properly, 2) the thin little metal thingy that both pads fit into being all bent up or 3) something else. Do the 02's definitely need that little spring clip? It may be that my clip is bent together enough that it's keep the outer pad from retracting with the "piston" (or pressure foot). But it's hard to imagine that that thin little piece of metal would be strong enough. Hopefully this all makes sense. Thoughts? Thanks. S

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Do the 02's definitely need that little spring clip?
    If you indeed have the 02's with the magnets and 165mm rotors, then no you don't need the clips. Remove it and see if that fixes the problem.

Otherwise, are you saying the caliper is retracting and just pad itself is sticking?

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'll check if mine in fact need the clips. I think they do.

As far as the problem, yes, I pull the lever, the pad presses in against the disc, then I release the lever and the "foot" (what's called the piston on my old Hayes) retracts but the pad doesn't. So my thinking is that either I'm not getting that pad hooked into the foot tight enough or the clip is bent too far together so that it's not allowing the pad to retract with the foot. I think the latter. I'm gonna try bending the clip so that it's further apart. We'll see.

I do love the simplicty of the Avids. Just that darn clip is so flimsy. S