fly like a beagle

avid mech disc pads

Time to replace my pads. Any suggestions on replacement pads? I got good wear out of the originals, I ride in mud about half the time. There are lots of choices. Thanks
    Really?This things got Brakes?

galferusa
    Aug 2004

try a set of Galfers!

Quote Originally Posted by GaHeckler
    Time to replace my pads. Any suggestions on replacement pads? I got good wear out of the originals, I ride in mud about half the time. There are lots of choices. Thanks
    Try a set of Galfers. Semi metallic pad that will give you better power, feel and wear than the stock pad.

ಠ_ಠ

I have the same question

Quote Originally Posted by GaHeckler
    I was looking at the kool stop web page - pretty weak. I read you should get semi-metallic, but any other information would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

"El Whatever"

Koolstops

Good Contender. Although it's known for squealing when worn out.

I didn't got to try the B4's (now stock on aivds). Those are supposed to be the best out for the avids and it should be. After those appeared, suddenly people stopped asking for aftermarket pads on this forum... so those should be working fine.

Fibrax don't fit the post-'02 models (the pads too big to accomodate the pad separation spring, Fibrax is working this out). EBC golds are good too.
    Check my Site

the wrench
    from my experiences the ebc reds are by fare the best as far as life overall poer and modulation go.
    the life of these pads is about the same as the avid pads, the power is greater as well as the modulation u get with these pads over the avids.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

all semi metallics are not created equal.....

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Good Contender. Although it's known for squealing when worn out.

I didn't got to try the B4's (now stock on aivds). Those are supposed to be the best out for the avids and it should be. After those appeared, suddenly people stopped asking for aftermarket pads on this forum... so those should be working fine.

Fibrax don't fit the post-'02 models (the pads too big to accomodate the pad separation spring, Fibrax is working this out). EBC golds are good too.
    The one thing that should be noted is that all semi metallic pads are not created equal. Just like Aluminum is used in bicycle frames on bikes you can buy at Target all the way up to the World Cup level, the is a huge range of compounds and qualities available in brake pads. Organic pads are a similar situation with some pads being made out of very basic resins all the way up our 1532 carbon/kevlar based superbike compound. None of the OEM's (the guys who make the calipers and levers) make their own pads. They outsource that to companies (like us) who make brake pads. The OEM's usually buy the absolute cheapest pads they can to help keep their cost down. These pads usually don't last long and the average bicycle consumer hasn't figured out that aftermarket pad compounds are usually much better quality so the OEM makes a huge profit selling pads that the consumer believes to be of good quality simply because it has the OEM labels on it. The average motorcycle consumer is much better informed and rarely buys the oem pads which usually cost more and don't work as well as aftermarket.-
    Galfer USA

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by galferusa
    The one thing that should be noted is that all semi metallic pads are not created equal. Just like Aluminum is used in bicycle frames on bikes you can buy at Target all the way up to the World Cup level, the is a huge range of compounds and qualities available in brake pads. Organic pads are a similar situation with some pads being made out of very basic resins all the way up our 1532 carbon/kevlar based superbike compound. None of the OEM's (the guys who make the calipers and levers) make their own pads. They outsource that to companies (like us) who make brake pads. The OEM's usually buy the absolute cheapest pads they can to help keep their cost down. These pads usually don't last long and the average bicycle consumer hasn't figured out that aftermarket pad compounds are usually much better quality so the OEM makes a huge profit selling pads that the consumer believes to be of good quality simply because it has the OEM labels on it. The average motorcycle consumer is much better informed and rarely buys the oem pads which usually cost more and don't work as well as aftermarket.-
    Galfer USA
    Who makes the pads for avid, shimano and hayes?? Let us know if you know so we can outsource them somewhere else. Also which should be the best pad for the avid made by galfer and please post links to tech pages of yours (Galfer) so we can search for the best pad.

I had seen at EBC's and Fibrax and look suspicioulsy equal... they even had the same problem with not fitting the spearating spring for the Avids. Not a real problem but a hassle as you had to file te pad to fit it.

As for avid stock pads... they seem not far from any other sintered pad (once they released the B4 and C4 pads and B3 was good depending on the batch you got - a friend of mine still has a set of B3's running fine after 1000 miles and lot of pads to go).

I would like to see another brake manufacturers join the bike industry, like Ferodo and Brembo (if the last just drop its prices). Bike companies did indeed helped create such underinformated market but you can't just blame it on them. After all, very few in the motor industry gave a crap for bicycles until now parts are becoming common for both type of vehicles (where were Kawasaki, Suzuki, Husqvarna, KTM and all others in the first years of MTB??). Obviously, moto riders have an edge over us bikers (not all of us) regarding tech stuff... but this is changing.

Let us know... thanks you.
    Check my Site

galferusa
    Aug 2004

who makes pads????

Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Who makes the pads for avid, shimano and hayes?? Let us know if you know so we can outsource them somewhere else. Also which should be the best pad for the avid made by galfer and please post links to tech pages of yours (Galfer) so we can search for the best pad.

I had seen at EBC's and Fibrax and look suspicioulsy equal... they even had the same problem with not fitting the spearating spring for the Avids. Not a real problem but a hassle as you had to file te pad to fit it.

As for avid stock pads... they seem not far from any other sintered pad (once they released the B4 and C4 pads and B3 was good depending on the batch you got - a friend of mine still has a set of B3's running fine after 1000 miles and lot of pads to go).

I would like to see another brake manufacturers join the bike industry, like Ferodo and Brembo (if the last just drop its prices). Bike companies did indeed helped create such underinformated market but you can't just blame it on them. After all, very few in the motor industry gave a crap for bicycles until now parts are becoming common for both type of vehicles (where were Kawasaki, Suzuki, Husqvarna, KTM and all others in the first years of MTB??). Obviously, moto riders have an edge over us bikers (not all of us) regarding tech stuff... but this is changing.

Let us know... thanks you.
    Ok, lots of good questions here.....
    First, Avid, shimano, and hayes are probably getting pads made from one (or several) pad manufacturers in the far east because of cost. Shimano, for example might have their resin pads coming from one company and their sintered pads from another. We (galfer) has been an OEM supplier to Magura, formula and Hope for the last several years but their are several suppliers to these companies. I know for a fact that the compound we sell these companies for oem is different than our aftermarket pads.
    Right now, Galfer only does semi metallic compounds for bicycle brake pads. But, unlike our competitors who offer a long life pad, a high power pad, etc, our pad is designed to be a better all around pad than stock. Better power, feel and life. Our pad might not have quite as much power as another companies' high power pad, but it will not compromise in feel or durability like that power pad will. Our pad might not have as long a life as another companies long life pad, but it will have better power and feel. You get the idea.....
    We are experimenting with our 1532 carbon kevlar compound for bicycle use. As far as I know, this is the first time a true motorcycle race compound will be used for a bicycle application. The bicycle prototypes we are using are not using compounds derrived from motorcycle compounds. They ARE the exact same compound. And so far the feedback has been very positive but the cost of the pad is high.
    Brembo does not make pads. Actually, we are an oem supplier for them for many of their automotive and motorcycle applications.
    There are many motorcycle manufacturers that have had involvement in bicycles. Showa dabbled in bicycles 10 years ago. Noleen, Fox, Grimeca, those AMP frames from back in the day were made by a motorcycle frame supplier, Hodaka in Taiwan makes bicycle and motorcycle frames, etc.
    www.galferusa.com we are updating our website and it will include a dedicated bicycle section!

fly like a beagle

Cant find the part #

Quote Originally Posted by galferusa
    Try a set of Galfers. Semi metallic pad that will give you better power, feel and wear than the stock pad.
    Can you give me a link? Thanks
    Really?This things got Brakes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What the?

Galfers website needs a lot of work. Why not make pads available, on your site? Did I miss a link (should be obvious but I don't have all day to find pads)

Best Bike Buys brought this up , (Anyone with brains doesn't buy from Beyond Bikes.)
    Your search on the term "Galfer" returned 2 results.

BeyondBikes Galfer Galfer Galfer Pads for Shimano XT/XTR 03+ Red C (Disc Pads) $19.99
    BeyondBikes Galfer Galfer Galfer Brake Line Hayes Mag Series (Hydraulic Brake Accessories) $41.99

I'm looking for avids and Shiggy saying that they don't come with clips!!! Freak how are we suppose to support your product if it's so cumbersome and there are concerns like needing or not needing clips? Go buy a bag of 100 clips or whatever so I can use your pads!? Freak! Include it!

Maybe I'm misinformed, but I'm looking elsewhere, good luck getting your stuff together.