mtbr member

Avid mech disc brake rub on spacers

I have 2002 avid mechanical disc brakes with a 160mm rotor on the back and 185mm on the front. Lately, I have noticed that the 185 will rub against the spacer washer on the front caliper when I am turning a certain direction. I just replaced the rotor and it started happening, is the rotor bad somehow? The only way to fix this so far is to off-center my wheel just a little bit with my skewer to move the rotor away from the spacer. Otherwise, the rotor will zing along every time I turn in this direction. Is there a simple fix to this problem or are others experiencing this?

Thanks,
    koko

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by kokothemonkey
    I have 2002 avid mechanical disc brakes with a 160mm rotor on the back and 185mm on the front. Lately, I have noticed that the 185 will rub against the spacer washer on the front caliper when I am turning a certain direction. I just replaced the rotor and it started happening, is the rotor bad somehow? The only way to fix this so far is to off-center my wheel just a little bit with my skewer to move the rotor away from the spacer. Otherwise, the rotor will zing along every time I turn in this direction. Is there a simple fix to this problem or are others experiencing this?

Thanks,
    koko
    Things to look at:
    Skewer tension
    Rotor trueness
    Rotor bolts torque

If you haven't touched the caliper those could be the guilty ones.
    Check my Site

On MTBR hiatus :(
    What fork are you using, what kind of hub is it, what kind of skewer is holding it all together, and are you confident the skewer it tight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedüb Nate
    What fork are you using, what kind of hub is it, what kind of skewer is holding it all together, and are you confident the skewer it tight?
    Marzocchi Atom Race, american classic hub, salsa skewer, and I have tried various degrees of tightness and it still does it. I also notice that the rotor is extremely close to the spacers when the skewer is tight and seated correctly, so there appears to be very little room for error.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by kokothemonkey

Thanks,
    koko
    Hmmmm... Interesting I noticed some similar wear with one of the spacer washers on my front caliper, but I'm running 165mm rotors. I too used to hear these little zings when I'd turn or lean the bike a certain way. About a month ago I noticed the front wheel had some play in the bearings so I popped in some new cartridge bearings, which totally removed the play, and also seems to have stopped the zinging sounds. So you might want to check your front wheel to see if there is any side to side play.

Karl