mtbr member

New question here. Avid Mech--2 questions

Hi:

I'm thinking of getting Avid mechanicals for my almost five year-old Superlight. I have two qs:

1. I have to remove the front wheel to place the bike on my bike rack. In the MTBR reviews of Avid mechs, there was mention that the brakes have to be readjusted each time the front wheel is removed. What does this entail? (I am not a mechanical person.) How long does it take? Are there other disc brakes that don't require this?

2. Are there other brakes within this approximate price point which weigh less than the Avids?

Thanks!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by NottheDon
    I have to remove the front wheel to place the bike on my bike rack. In the MTBR reviews of Avid mechs, there was mention that the brakes have to be readjusted each time the front wheel is removed. What does this entail? (I am not a mechanical person.) How long does it take? Are there other disc brakes that don't require this?
    Not true. The caliper is fixed to the fork just like any other caliper. The rotor is mounted to the hub just like any other rotor. There is nothing inherent in the Avid's design that causes it to have this problem any more often than any other disc brake.

Most often the need to realign after wheel removal comes from inconsistant tightening of the QR skewer.

My own method to ensure this is done right each time is to (1) close the QR lever (2) tighten the skewer nut until it stops (hand tight) against the dropout (3) re-open the QR lever and (4) tighten the skewer nut a pre-determined amount ? 1-1/4 turns in my case.

Another solution is to purchase a doo-dad called a "Quick Nut" which allows you to set a stop point for the QR for repeatable consistency. I haven't used them but many here have and think it's a good product. Search the old boards for more info.

However, to answer your question, caliper realignment is easy with Avid's CPS and only takes a 5mm allen wrench and a couple of minutes. You'll losen the two mounting bolts, dial the pad adjusters in on either side to clamp the rotor and align it to the rotor, you'll re-tighten the two mounting bolts then back the pad adjusters off a couple of clicks apiece. Not something you'll want (or need) to do all the time, but simple.

Are there other brakes within this approximate price point which weigh less than the Avids?
    Yes. Formula makes the Activa, another mechanical with a "floating caliper" design. Check weightweenies.starbike.com for weights. I don't think the Deore 515LA or Hayes HMX-1 weigh any less than the Avids.

meatier showers
    In the MTBR reviews of Avid mechs, there was mention that the brakes have to be readjusted each time the front wheel is removed.
    That sure isn't the case on any of the four bikes I have outfitted with Avid mechs. Like you, I have a rack that requires front wheel removal each time I rack the bike. I've removed and replaced my front wheels hundreds of times without adjusting (or needing to adjust) my Avid mech calipers.

By the way, I use Quick-Nuts (http://www.1upusa.com/quicknuts.html) and think they rule.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas