Intensely Laid-Back

Avid Mech 185 Rotor Problem

Hey all.

Excited because I just installed my new Avid Mechanical 185mm rotor on my Rock Shox Duke w/U-Turn. Get everything on and bolted down. Cables are cut. Take it outside and hear the rotor rubbing on something. I assume it must be one of the pads so I keep dialing them out. Still rubbing. Finally I get down real low and see that the rotor appears to be too far out. To put it another way the rotor is too close to the actual caliper mechanism and is constantly rubbing against it. I'm posting a pic too.

Tried re-installing by loosening CPS botls. Tried pulling the thing over. I'm worried about pulling too hard.

Not sure what to do. Anybody had this happen to them? Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------->It doesn't have to be fun to be fun<-------

Meh.
    You can always face the mounts with a dremel tool. It'll void your waranty though.

Meh.
    Actually there's already been a thread about this somewhere. Both Chris King and Avid manufacture within the tolerances, but I guess they're both at the more extreme ends of the tolerance, thus causing problems. Lots of people have had this problem. Look around, the thread should be pretty recent.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    King and Rock Shox more than Avid.
    Find a shop with a Gnann-o-mat and have the fork tabs faced. You could also file a bit off of the Avid mount. You could do the later yourself by hand and it would be the cheapest to fix if something screws up.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    techno...Shiggy's right you're gonna need a disc milling tool to correctly fix the issue. Check your local bike shops to see if they have the tool. If they don't and you run into a dead end we have a rental that i can get to you fairly fast.

BTW...great detail in pics...what camera are you using ?

later, Chad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

Intensely Laid-Back

Problem Solved!!

Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    ...gonna need a disc milling tool to correctly fix the issue.

BTW...great detail in pics...what camera are you using ?

And the prize for the correct answer goes to: those in favor of milling/facing!!

Nice work people, you have allowed me to sleep well tonight. After calling 3 or 4 shops around here I finally found one that had the tool...and more to the point, knew how to use it. After close visual inspection Travis (my saviour) and I both figured this wasn't the problem but seemed a good place to start. He started in on those damn tabs and HEY! That upper tab is sure yielding a whole lot of material! But the lower one barely needed to be scraped? I'll be gol-darned.

Re-installed the caliper, lined it up, and have been rolling quietly ever since. I think the shop rat was more surprised than I was. I am just so relieved to have the quandry solved and know it wasn't my fault.

Thanks for your head scratching and good advice. I will now pass the word.

And for the record, the camera I used was simply a Nikon 3200 point and shoot. Great little camera for the on-the-go biker who takes photos of moose and video for proof.
    ------->It doesn't have to be fun to be fun<-------