mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Avid to Magura? Would you?

Hey all,
    Just trying to get some input from some non biased bikers. I've had Avid Mechs with 160 rotors now for 2 seasons. I went with them due to cost and convenience during a frame buildup in 02. I have XTR shifter/brake combos.
    My dilemma; I have noticed the braking isn't quite what it should be for my weight 215 lbs during some of my decents. Quick rider profile: Riding Mtn for about 17 years, Mostly XC technical singletrack and fast technical downhills. I upgraded my frameset and have been bombing the downhills harder then when I had my last noodly frameset. So, is it worth the cost to get rid of the XTR shifter brake lever and rr derailleur, go to probably the Scram X-9 shifters and derailleur and the Magura Louise with the 180rotor up front and the 160 in the rear. It would cost about $300 for the possible increase in stopping power and weight savings? Or would you go with just a larger Avid rotor on the front? I realize most of this is preference and there are many different setups but hoped someone has already been thru this and can give me some real world feedback.
    Thanks!

meatier showers
    I weigh 195# and like my Avids with the bigger rotors. These days I'm usually on my singlespeed, which is outfitted with a 185mm front rotor and a 160mm rear, but if I'm going on an epic that includes more than 5000' vert, I'll often ride the Sugar with 203mm front/ 185mm rear. Mmmmm, mmmm, good.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by heron
    Hey all, ...
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Bodhisattva

Cheapest & Easiest solution....

The Magura Loiuse FR's are nice and will have plenty of power for you.
    But the cheapest & easiest thing for you to do is get larger rotors for you Avid Mechanicals and see if that does the trick. If you've otherwise happy with the Avid mechs then that's what I would do.
    Life....the original terminal illness

There's no app for this.

Agree here and

as a heavier rider that replaced 160mm Louise Rotors with 190mm Gustav front and back, the rotor size is the issue here. A larger rotor will fix you up. My only other comment is that I believe (strictly my opinion here I stress) is that the Louise FR may have better modulation, if that's an issue for you?

Just my .02, Jim MCM #11

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Jump up in rotor size with only the cost of an adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    The Magura Loiuse FR's are nice and will have plenty of power for you.
    But the cheapest & easiest thing for you to do is get larger rotors for you Avid Mechanicals and see if that does the trick. If you've otherwise happy with the Avid mechs then that's what I would do.
    Squeaky's got the cheapest solution. You can buy an adapter for maybe 10 bucks to get your Avid's to work with larger rotors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Appreciate the feedback. I'll look into the larger rotor for the front.

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    Have to agree, with the larger rotor. I outweigh you by 30 pounds, and for the most part, the 160mm rotor (original) is just fine. If I were to do more DH riding, the 185mm rotor is the way to go. Just look for the adaptor. I expect Speedgoat has it available online.

mtbr member
    I run both Avid mechanicals and Magura Louise (and a Julie). Both are good, I don't find the performance of one better than the other for a given rotor size. The main differences are that the Maggies are hydralic, self adjusting, and lighter.

For better performace, a larger fromt rotor is what you need, regardless of caliper make. And keep the pads & rotors oil free - alot of performance is loss when the pads get contaminated.

Cheers,

Tom

Do It Yourself

I went from Avid to Magura...

I switched from Avid mechanical to Magura Martas. It was a big upgrade for me. I had a nice setup with the Avids with the Ultimate levers, Kevlar housing and all. It was good but the modulation and feel is much better with hydraulics. The Maguras are harder to setup than the Avids. But once they are set, Maguras are self centering so you don't have to fiddle with them at all. I'm only about 170 lbs and unfortunately lack serious elevation gain/loss on the local trails so the 160s work great for me.

As far as getting a 180 Avid, you will have to spend more than $10 because you'll need a new rotor too. It will be more than $50 for the adapter and rotor. A couple people I read that did this said it would have been much easier/cheaper to sell your 160 and just buy a new 180.

Either way, the 180 up front sounds like what you want. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I switched from Avid mechanical to Magura Martas. It was a big upgrade for me. I had a nice setup with the Avids with the Ultimate levers, Kevlar housing and all. It was good but the modulation and feel is much better with hydraulics. The Maguras are harder to setup than the Avids. But once they are set, Maguras are self centering so you don't have to fiddle with them at all. I'm only about 170 lbs and unfortunately lack serious elevation gain/loss on the local trails so the 160s work great for me.

As far as getting a 180 Avid, you will have to spend more than $10 because you'll need a new rotor too. It will be more than $50 for the adapter and rotor. A couple people I read that did this said it would have been much easier/cheaper to sell your 160 and just buy a new 180.

Either way, the 180 up front sounds like what you want. Good luck.
    Is the modulation worth about $400? The Avids definitely lack that.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by heron
    Is the modulation worth about $400? The Avids definitely lack that.
    Modulation should be adjustable with your XTR levers. There is a small dial inside the lever where you can adjust the cable pull. It's never going to be as smooth as Magura but maybe you can get it to your liking.

Also, the Louise aren't quite that much. $350/pair at Speedgoat and you can definitely do better. It sound like you are going to be spending some money for a new 180 brake anyway.

I got a sweet deal on my Martas from the Classifieds. New bike take-offs. Selling my Avid brakes and Ultimate levers covered most of it.

Worth it? If you can reasonably afford it, getting what you really want is usually worth it.