mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Avid Magnesium Brakes and Levers

How do you guys find the Avid Mag Brakes and Levers? How does it compare to the Ti?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by synkronized23
    How do you guys find the Avid Mag Brakes and Levers? How does it compare to the Ti?
    The Mag series brakes & levers haven't been produced by Avid for a few years. The few around that pop up at online retailers and on ebay are old stock. The difference between Mag and Ti is that the Mag series were actually made of a magnesium alloy, while the Ti series are comprised of the same forged aluminum bits as the SD-7 brakes & levers, with titanium hardware substituted for steel and with lighter aluminum sleeves used in the brake arm pivots.

The "real" lightweight Avid brake setup is composed of Mag parts with titanium hardware & aluminum sleeves installed. Avid never sold it this way, but the conversion is a snap to do at home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by synkronized23
    I had the Mag brakes front and rear, with STX RC levers. They offer more power than my old (STX RC) brakes, but I found them fading on long down hills when touring. But I weight around 180 lbs and was carrying an extra 30+lbs in gear. At all other times they have been fine. I recently installed a 203 mm Avid disc on the front and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Wombat