Thread: Avid Leak

gdv
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Avid Leak

Hi there,

I have older (2008) set of Juicy 3s. I was changing the pads, had the bike upside down, and had to push the pistons on the rear brake back in a bit. When I was finished I noticed that some fluid had leaked from the master cylinder, between the seal/seam/join of the top and bottom parts. When squeezing the brake, a little more fluid would come out but now seems to be fine. I've been out on the bike several times and there is no leakage. The brakes are older, but have worked great for me and have never been bled.

What would cause the spontaneous leak and why would it correct itself? Can I get a bit more life out of these brakes yet??

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    should not be a problem. make sure you clean the area where brake fluid leaked out or it will corrode the metal. just spray down with water and wipe clean.

Probably had too much fluid in the system and when you went to retract the pistons to allow for the new pads, the excess fluid had no place to go. In the future, you can crack open the bleed port on the lever to allow for this weep when putting in new pads and then close it up when your done. Spray down with water (after you have it closed) and wipe up.

When you do a proper bleed, you ideally will not have this as there will be no excess fluid in system.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8