Heads up Flyboy!!

Avid Juicy's failing in rain

I have had my Juicy 's for about 3 months now and have had to have the rear brake repaired once by Avid and then replaced the second time for lever loss in the rain. The first time they said that there was to much grease in the lever, good excuse for failure ;( and the second time they could not find a problem and ended up replacing the whole rear brake assembly(lever, caliper, hose) as a unit. I live in the mountains on the east coast so afternoon rain squaws are frequent. During long downhills ( longer then 30 minute runs) in the rain my lever starts lossing feel and eventually goes all the way to the bar. Even after replacing pads the lever feels as though there is a heavy loss of fluid, although it looks fine through the site glass. Bleed it and it comes back during the next rain every time. Please help!

Schmeow Productions
    hmm... the only thing that i can think of is to get somes hayes.

Poser
    Sounds like you're not bleeding correctly and still have air in the system everytime.

OR, your brake fluid (including the stuff in your bottle on the shelf) has been contiminated and has too much water absorbed.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    The rear brake I have now is the new one that Avid gave me. These have never been bled from the manufactuer. I had it for about 2 months then during a ride about 2 weeks ago the last 20 miles of which were in the rain is when the brake started to funk up again. !st noticed that there was a loss of return action in the lever. Then during a hike a bike noticed the rear wheel sticking due to a stuck capliper that freed itself. I've only ridden once since then and still have the loss of return action in the lever. I'm taking the bike into the shop tomorrow. I just remember Avid themselves scratching their heads so just wanted to know if anyone else had problems.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Bleed

The only thing that makes sense when your lever sucks to the bar and loss of power is either air in the line or you've got a leak in the system.

If a hydraulic system is working- no leaks, air or significant water in the system, you should not get any the problems you are describing.

Other possibilities, maybe a bad caliper piston seal? Damage occured during your ride? Did you squeeze the levers while the rotors were not installed? Dunno, beyond this.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]