mtbr member
    Apr 2007

AVID Juicy3 issue

Rear brake. Hose was extended and brake bled by LBS. Was OK for about 6 months.
    Suddenly during a ride the handle begun to develop a play after it is being squeezed. It felt like something is stuck (either at the handle or at the caliper - I cannot tell). However, it was not totally stuck - the wheel could be rotated with some rubbing...
    2 days after the bike was stored - everything now is OK.
    The handle squeezes and retracts normally without having that play as if nothing happened...
    Of course I am not relaxed as I am sure the phenomenon will show its face again.
    Anybody knows where and what should I look for?

Thanks

TNC
    noMAD man
    Diagnosing a symptom like that over the internet might be hard...especially after it appears to have righted itself. The standard response would be to suggest bleeding the unit, but I would inspect that hose super carefully to see if it got pinched and/or collapsed somewhere in its length. Look for any badly scuffed up spot or any other irregularity in the hose surface.

mtbr member
    Did you store your bike upside down?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Hanged from the ceiling on a hook

Front wheel up...

TNC
    noMAD man
    Most bike hydros should have absolutely no air whatsoever in the entire system, so how you hang a bike, should have no affect on the brake system. But as Reignman suggests, a tiny bit of air in a system may not always affect braking performance until it migrates to a critical point in the system...and then may go away of the air is able to migrate away from that critical point.

One thing I don't like about the Juicy design is the "motorcycle-like" master cylinder design. This system usually has a rubber bladder under that cap that also has a small amount of air between the bladder and the cap. In a perfect world, the bladder should always keep that bit of air separated from the brake fluid. Since things aren't always perfect, I think this is why Juicy's appear to need more bleeding service than many other brands. Motorcycles don't seem to have an issue here because the larger components are better machined and finished to insure a good seal, and motors don't lay around on their sides, sit upside down, or get hung in vertical positions for any length of time as a general rule. Some of Shimano's master cylinders are similarly designed, but they apparently did a better job of sealing that top cap and brake fluid interface, and their bleed method may also address the evacuation of air at this point in a better way.

I notice that Avid's new Elixir is an inline design, and these designs seem to be more efficient at sealing their rubber bladders with the brake fluid.