mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Avid juicy vs Hope vs Shimano

I have an old pair of hayes and need a new pair of discs due to level problems (currently running HFX I think-about 4 yrs old). Looking for a little more power and better modulation. Although the hayes don't work as well as other disc brakes I've used, I pretty much did zero maintainance on them -which was nice.
    I was leaning towards Avid Juicy 5 or 7's, but have read a bunch of bad info on them with shimmy and rotor problems. I am considering Hope Mono Mini, but wonder if they'll havbe enough power. Or should I pony up for Shimano XT? (I can get the avids or hopes quite a bit cheaper throught a connection)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had this decision to make a few weeks ago ( i was choosing between El camino's, Juicy 7's and Mono mini's.) I ended up going with the Avid juicy's and so far they have been great with loads of power and great lever feel. setup was also a snap. i replaced the rotors with Aluminum ones, titanium rotor bolts and Titanium and Aluminum hardware through out the calipers and levers before i had even ridden on the stock hardware and rotors and i have experienced none of the stuttering problems that others report having - so maybe it is all in the rotor design ?
    I was a long time hope user, with the hope mini's which i had for 3 seasons and worked great, but were destroyed when i had a big crash, and the cost of 2 replacement levers wasnt worth the price, when i could pay a little extra and have a new complete set.The hope Mono minis were straight away what i was going to replace them with but after a test ride on them, they do lack power of the old style hopes, they do however have a great lever feel and awesome modulation (best in the business). and well the el Caminos became a non contender seeing as they are rarely available at the moment, so i wasnt prepared to buy a product i havent ridden first - especcially an unproved one. The hayes being a hayes brake getting spare parts should be a breeze and hayes do seem to work and work when some other brakes such as marta's for example just give up.

mtbr member

hope

i am in the same situation and i am going to go with the hope m4. they are not much heavier (minimal) than the mono mini and lot's more power. (180F and 160R) the juicy's have too many problems (hope they fix that cause i have heard great things when they work) shimano prob work fine but i am not a shimano guy! Magura's are great but if you get a hook-up with hope go that route!

Just my $.02
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Gravity Rides Everything
    the avids I've heard too many bad things about. the rotors sucking, being a pain to change hose length, unable to get parts etc.

shimano- I was considering the XT disc brakes
    I was put off by:
    -user cannot service caliper (no parts available) you have to send it in. that's crap in my opinion.
    -have to buy hoses, levers, and calipers seperate. annoying and costly

hope i like except for a fairly minor squeal. I have mono M4's. 200mm front and 180 rear. Used em for about half of last season. very impressive performance, and they seem to be holding up well.

mtbr member
    I have a SID up front, which I dont think will take over a 160mm rotor. Can I get a Hope M4 with a 160mm rotor up front?? Or switch the rotor and caliper??

What about buying two rear sets?? Will that work??

I want to upgrade to discs, but I want a lot of POWER at descently light weight.