Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Avid Juicy vibration

Was noted on a prev post here, but wanted to bring the topic to the front.

Anyone with Juicy 7 brakes experiencing rather extreme vibrations on one or both discs? For myself, the front works great, but the rear has this vibration like someone deposited something sticky on the rotors. It occurs upon first hitting the brakes after not using them for a 10-15 minutes, then goes away after continuously applying the brakes. We're talking a vibration that rattles the whole bike and me!

Speculation on the causes - contaminated pads? contaminated rotor? air in the line?

I have noticed two unusual darker stripe patterns on the rotor, whereas my front rotor is evenly scraped.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Two wheels are best

Wavy Rotor

Basically, there are rough edges on the wavy rotors. Some have reported that they ground the edges smooth and it fixed the problem.

If you contact Avid, they'll most likely replace your rotors with the round style.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

I have the round polygon rotor

Actually I have the round style rotor (new style) not the original wavy version. Wonder if the polygon version has the same problem? I'm noticing that as that stripe of whatever is wearing away, the brakes are getting quieter. Thinking I might have had some kind of contamination that needed to be scraped off? We'll see how it performs over the next couple weeks. I'd hate to take a chance and try to clean the rotors and sand the pads.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Rotor design flaw

Check out the following from the product review section for the Juicy brakes. David M writes...

" The Juicy's felt very stuttery about 50% of the time creating a most unpleasent anything but smooth feel. I called my local shop who informed me that it might be break in though the problem persisted and knew the stuttery feel couldn't be right. A talented mechanic at Pauls did some research and found out that Avid had identified the problem as originating from the design of the new rotor which was thinner at it's pointier peaks/edges which they thought would help reduce overheating. Though, this created a "grab, no grab, grab, no grab" fast stuttering during modulation. Avid sent me a new rotor and they've been smooth sailing since. "

Two wheels are best
    I'm using the round rotors with out any problems, other than squealing. IIRC, the only folks who have reported the vibration were using the wavy rotor.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Also had the polygon and stuttering

Hi,
    I had the polygon rotors and the dreaded stuttering problems.

I talked to the folks at Avid and they thought that it could have been the pads not being bedded in properly. Just in case though, they sent me new pads and rotors.

While waiting for their pads and rotors, I tried using an EBC red (downhill) pad on the rear brake and the stutter went away. The red pads feel great but wear incredibly fast. Anyway, the Avid replacement pads and rotors came a little bit later and I changed the pads on the front brake and the problem was still there. Changed the front rotor to the old Avid Mechanical style round rotor that Avid sent me and the problem instantly went away.

Based on looking at the boards, clearly everyone isn't having this problem and there does seem to be some relationship between the pads and the rotors. I must say, once the rotor was changed, the brakes are awesome.

One of the reasons I bought the Avid Juicy brakes (for my wife's bike, actually) was because of the great service I've had from Avid in the past on any problem. While it wasn't quite as easy to deal with them now that they are part of SRAM (parts needed to be sent to local dealer instead of to me), I must say that they were still better than most companies I have dealt with. Courteous and fast and I would certainly positively recommend the product.

Given that everyone is not experiencing these problems, it would be interesting to know whether the problems are caused by some other conditions that I am not aware of (perhaps we live in a universal harmonic convergence zone :-)

arn

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Getting better

After a couple more rides with a long fast downhill run, I think most of the vibration problem might be as the prev post noted, a bedding in issuel. It seems like the vibration is subsiding as I break in the brakes.

I'm still wondering why the rotors seem to have a rather dark scrape area, versus just scraped but shiny as most of the other discs I've seen? It's almost like the Avid pads are made of rubber!

Any recommendations for third party brake pads that work in the Avid's?

HeadFishHeadMonger
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    After a couple more rides with a long fast downhill run, I think most of the vibration problem might be as the prev post noted, a bedding in issuel. It seems like the vibration is subsiding as I break in the brakes.

I'm still wondering why the rotors seem to have a rather dark scrape area, versus just scraped but shiny as most of the other discs I've seen? It's almost like the Avid pads are made of rubber!

Any recommendations for third party brake pads that work in the Avid's?
    My Avid mechs (same pads) did this while breaking in (and for a bit after), it stops doing this after the pads are fully bedded in ...

Berardino