Sooz

Avid Juicy Ultimate or Shimano XT brakes

I am building a Yeti ARC hardtail that will be used for some general trail riding and cross country racing and X-terra type off-road triathlons - XT group, Fox float 32 RLC fork, Mavic SL wheels, Thomson post and stem, WTB Rocket seat ... I have the option to use either Shimano 2010 M775 brakes or some 2009 Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes. I have some M775 XT brakes on my Trek EX-9 and like them. I have the good fortune to have access to the 2 brake sets. What do you think - the Shimano or Avid brakes? Does anyone have experience or informed opinion with both these brakes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Shimanos have always worked the best for me. I have had multiple iterations of each, and keep coming back to Shimano for brakes.

mtbr member
    Sorry that I don't have experience with either brakes but my thought would be to go with XT only for the fact that you would have a backup set in case anything goes wrong with the other set.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I find myself preferring the feel of the Avid's, but it's a very personal thing. Take a trip down to your LBS and play around with the levers on a bike with some Avid's. The feel at the levers between the two is VERY different, and I think it comes down more to personal preference than anything else.

I had the Juicy Ultimate's for 3 years, and they worked amazingly, no complaints.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

mtbr member
    I personally like having the same type brakes on my bikes. Having mineral oil brakes on both bikes makes fore easier bleeding and that. I also think the Avids and the Shimanos feel way different, so I like to keep the setups on my bike as similar as possible for an easy transition back and forth.

Sooz
    Thank-you all for the excellent advice. In my case, the comments about similarity in equipment between bikes are right - consistent feel, maintenance etc. The XT's on my other brake have been good under tough conditions. I think I was being seduced by the carbon leavers on the Ultimate Juicy's. True that the brakes have different characteristics.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ABA's

Code:
    Anything but Avid's

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    I've had several sets of Avids, Juicy....and currently Elixir 5. They all felt great when bled properly and stopped well, the Elixirs stop way better than the Juicys and have more adjustments. I really like how my Elixirs work, but I HATE bleeding them...they are a huge PITA to bleed and the Avid bleed kit with degassing syringes is a JOKE! When you pull hard enough to degass the fluid, then air gets past the syringe plungers very easily, thus negating the whole degassing bs. You also have to be very careful not to get the brake fluid on any paint because it will remove paint.

That said, I've never ridden any Shimano brakes long enough to really get a feel for them. If you like them, stay with the Shimano XTs. One thing I don't like is the center lock rotors that Shimano uses, they are over-complicated and over-priced.

There are several other brands out there too, but most people I ride with use Avids followed closely by Shimano.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Sooz
    Thanks all. Good advice. I have decided to install my M775 XT's on the ARC, and relegate my Avid Juicy's to the shelf for now.