mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Avid Juicy on Trek 8000

Hey folks! New to the forum and have a question. Will Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic brakes mount right onto my 1999 Trek 8000 or do I need any adapters? The mounts are on the Manitou XS fork and frame. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

On the front yes....

on the rear no. The 99 Trek bikes (those that came set up for discs) required a Hayes 22mm direct mount type caliper for the rear. Unfortunately the 22mm direct mount system fell out of favor for various reasons rather quickly quite a while ago. The biggest reason for it's demise was the 160mm rotor restriction and they were finicky when it came to set up. With the larger size frames and certain disc brakes it is possible to use an adapter and mount the rear in that way. However it depends totaly on the amount of room that you have and the size of the caliper. Usually there isn't enough room between the seat and chain stays to mount the adapter and the caliper together. This is the case with the Juicy 7. There are still 22mm Hayes rears out there, but they are becoming quite rare. I've got a 2000 Trek 7000 that has been retired to commuter duty for this very reason. I very much prefer disc brakes for off road riding, but I can live with rim brakes for commuting. So the 7000 is my commuter. If you are really dead set on putting disc brakes on the bike do a search of this forum. The subject had come up several times before.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A2Z makes the adapter for the 20mm to IS mount:

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/ada.htm

You have to have a larger frame in order to get the caliper to fit inside the triangle. You do get to run a 7" disc back there because of the adapter though. Works just fine, but you'll need to find a brake that is NOT a common post mount. The only ones that come like that anymore are Shimano XTR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for your help. Ultimately I wanted to upgrade to disc brakes. Searching around I think AD-PMR adapter/bracket with a Shimano xtr a-type mount caliper should work. Thanks again!